Stereo Installation Wiring Help Please

Finatic

Reaction score
I am trying to install a Sony stereo on my Gulfstream and I can't seem to figure out the wiring. This "should" be a simple install as I am only utilizing the head unit and 2 speakers. Based upon the wiring diagram I should only have to utilize 3 wires (black, red, and yellow). The black ground wire is easy and I have that part down. The red and yellow wires are both positive and this is where the issue lies. The red wire states that it should be connected to the +12V power terminal which is energized in the accessory position of the ignition switch. It also says, that if there is no accessory position, connect to the +12V power (battery) terminal which is energized at all times. The yellow wire states that it should be connected to the +12V power terminal which is energized at all times. I know it should be easy to install but I'm not sure whether both yellow and red wires should be run directly to the battery or if one or both should be hooked up through one of the two available accessory switches at the helm. I installed all the other electronics on my boat, which include radar, gps, vhf, and fish finder and I must admit that I'm almost embarassed that I can't figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I hope to tackle this task this weekend.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm pretty sure that the red wire is power for the unit, and the yellow is for preset memory retention; e.g. you set your button presets for your fave stations. If the yellow wire is not powered all the time, the radio will no longer 'remember' your presets. This is going to happen unless you run the yellow directly (thru a fuse) to the battery +. Otherwise, when you turn off your battery switches, the radio will lose memory anyway. Not big deal to me, as I will simply tune in the station I want each time I use the radio, and don't bother with presets.

If you're ok with this, just connect the red and yellow together to your fuse panel or accy swicth; black to ground, and you're done (except for speakers and antenna).

Finatic

Reaction score
Capt Bill,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct that the red is for the power and the yellow holds the memory. So just to make sure I understand you correctly, I can crimp the red and yellow wires together and then plug them into either the fuse panel or accessory switch? If I go the route of the accessory switch, what if any advantage is there? Also, if I remember correctly the wire on the switch panel are orange and black. I'm assuming the orange I could just crimp the yellow, red, and orange wires and then plug them back in the accessory panel. Is that correct? Sorry for all the questions, but just want to clarify and put a check mark next to this project.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm not sure of the color code on the back of your switch panel, but if it is an unused accy switch, there should be an empty terminal on the back, which will be 12+ when the switch is on. advantage of using an accy switch?? Well, all it will really do is provide you with a way of controlling whether being is supplied to the radio, independently of the battery switch. Unless the radio malfunctioned and you wanted to kill the 12V going to it, you likely will never need that switch. Of course you could always pull the fuse, if that were the case. but make sure you use the supplied fuse that came with the radio, as it is of a lower amperage than the Grady 12 buss fuses,

And es, you can connect the red and yellow together to the 12v fuse block or accy switch, and remember that the radio will lose memory presets, every time you turn the main battery disconnect off.

Wrap it up, and check it off the list. :)

seasick

Reaction score
The memory feed draws some but a small amount of power. The main/red feed draws a lot more so the advantage of connecting the red to a switched position is that if you forget to turn the stereo off, even with the volume turned down, the stereo will drain your battery a LOT faster than just the memory option.
My preference is to connect the RED to a switched feed and connect the yellow directly to the battery but with a hidden switch in-line. When storing for long periods of time, turn the hidden switch off to conserve battery. During normal use, you will still have your presets and options. In lieu of a switch you can install an in-line fuse on the yellow and remove the fuse for storage but that is more of a pain and you will probably misplace the fuse:)

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Spin the red and yellow wires together and run them to 12v+ somewhere after your battery switches. Yea, you'll lose your presets every time, but when was the last time you ran through presets on your boat anyway? :doh When you want tunes, plug your Ipod in and listen to what you want, commercial free.