Stereo system - Marlin 300

awc4kds

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Marlin with the original Grady-installed Kenwood stereo with Sirius. The Sirius module is bad and a replacement is no longer generally available for the OEM stereo. I would like to replace my stereo tuner with a newer bluetooth capable model. Because the stereo models have changed over the years, replacing the stereo also would require replacement of the wired remote switch at the helm. I am wondering whether anyone has performed a similar upgrade and if yes: a) what replacement stereo did you install; b) how did you fit the new tuner into the factory cut out in the cabin; and, c) how did you wire the new wired remote (seems like the wired remote runs through a chase along starboard below deck, across the boat to port side and then back to the tuner).

Thank you for any insights that you can provide.

Reactions: mleads310

Slacktime

Reaction score
I bought this unit for my Marlin 300. JVC KDX31MDS Brand New Mobile Marine AM/FM/USB - Model # KD-X31MBS . It fits in the same space with the same wiring. The remote does not work with this unit, but it has bluetooth and can play MP3 & 4. I had a kenwood unit prior that did work with the remote, but this one doesn't. however its only $78.48 & FREE Shipping on Amazon. I was pissed at Kenwood because they did not honor the 1 year warranty although it was a marine unit. JVC is also owned by Kenwood, but I look at these as throwaways. Buy cheap and throw it away if it doesn't work. YMMV. :-|

Motivator

Reaction score
I just replaced the stereo in my 2006 Sailfish. Had a Fusion MS-UD650 installed with remote at helm. Sirius and Bluetooth capable along with fitting in same cabin stereo "box".

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I replaced my Marlin's stereo system with one of the Fusion models. It is awesome. I did it about a couple of years agos ago and the models have updated and upgraded. No problem with the Fusion head fitting in the original space. No problem installing an outdoor remote. I even added additional speakers in the cockpit so I could get extra music in that area. System works great and I highly recommend the brand.

awc4kds

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your replies. Based on your input, I am very interested in the Fusion units - they look really good. Motivator, ElJefe, do you have any advice or information for running the cable for the wired remote to the tuner unit?

Again, thank you for your insights!

Motivator

Reaction score
No help with the wire running here. I had it done along with a few other things.

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Marlin 300 an added a Fusion head in the cabin and a remote. Go with a fusion. The new model has all the bells and whistles. The trick to running wires or the remote cable is from the radio head is you have to go through the plastic ceiling panel to run the wire. You need to pull the radio and then run the wire into the top left corner of the radio hole. As you stare at radio up there is a cabin light in the left corner. You will see one of one or two access plugs. Pop these out with a screw driver. You will pull the wire from the radio hole up through here. Then Towards the port side on the cabin roof near the walk around drop you will see the windshield wiper motor cover. You will need to pull this off. There will be a hole. You will then need to pull the wire from the access plugs to this area. You will then need to take off the fuse panel and pull the wire from the windshield wiper motor to the fuse panel. From there the remote wire can be run to the helm and connected to the remote control. It is a "V" shaped run starting from the radio to the windshield wiper hole and then back to fuse box then helm area. You cant go any other way...

I ran rca cables, a remote wire and extra volume switch this same way...a little tricky but doable. I use about an 8-10 guage wire as my pull as well as and old inner throttle cable wire which is stiff but gives so it is easier to push through.

I did extensive stereo work on my boat and she sounds awesome. The best addition was JL Marine audio speakers and amps throughout. In the e box above I mounted 7.7 JL audio speakers and then you can hear music when you run. I have a 10 inch JL audio speaker Sub the base of the port helm storage compartment, 6.5 JL marine audio in the helm area and another set of 7.7 JL audio speakers in the walk around step. My amps are mounted in the port helm storage area for the sub and behind the fishing boxes under bait station. Lots of wire running... I can control everything from the helm. I have the ipod only Fusion i600 (i think) and it is great. Whatever you do the JL M series speakers are the best. My 6.5's are 8 years old and were on my old grady.

PM me if you want me to talk you through this over the phone...my friends say my stereo will sell my boat some day...

awc4kds

Reaction score
REBThunderroad,

Many thanks for this information - your note is right on point. I will send you a PM. Thanks again.

awc

liinw8

Reaction score
REB or anyone else. Any idea what the largest size speaker that would fit in the lower step of the walk around (I have a '99 Marlin)? I don't have access to my boat for a bit and in the meantime I want to order a set of the largest speakers that will fit there to replace the small inspection ports (which I know I'll obviously have to enlarge). I'd like to install either Wet Sounds 808's or DC Gold 9.5's if they'd fit there. Thanks

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think I moved up to 7.7 Jl audio marine in the step to the walk around. I will check on,Saturday. I'm 99 percent sure. I have to recommend jl audio marine only. Absolutely the best. Two of my speakers are 10 years old. They are hands down the best. Spend the extra and you will smile.

Rob

liinw8

Reaction score
Thanks Rob. It would be great if you're able to let me know if you think 8's or 9's will also fit in there (i.e., based on circumference and depth). The 8's or 9's will have better low range bass even though the JL 7's may have more accurate sound production in the highs and mid bass and I'm not planning to run a sub...

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I will double check. I think 7.7s are max. I had 6.5 and theybmake a difference. I run a sub in the passenger helm box on the front facing the cabin door. Two 6.5s in the helm side panel and the separate 7s mid and tweeter facing down from e box. Two amps. Sub amp in passenger seat box. And other amp under the sink behind the fish drawers. My stereo will sell the boat. Amazing! Feel free to call me. ,rob 352-408-2209

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Reviving an old thread. Do you happen to have an pictures of the 7.7s installed in the steps of the walk around? I going to be installing mb quartz 8"(good deal on a used set) in the exact location and wanted to see what others have done. I currently have 6" access panels there, so I'm assuming you just enlarged to hole to make the speakers fit?

ttles714

Reaction score
Grady didn't do us any favors with the way they routed and installed the helm wired remote....

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I agree. But was just curious of the actual speaker installation on the steps/walk around itself.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I replaced mine with the Fusion head, remote, 4 factory speakers and added an amp and 2 more speakers.
I'll see if I can locate the thread on it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Couldn't find so here is a summary.

I installed the UD650 Fusion B/W head unit, 4" Fusion Speakers in the cabin bow area (direct replacement for the Kenwood 4" even used the black water deflectors that were installed by the factiry and 6" speakers in the helm, even used the wires), and 6" Fusion Speakers in the helm in my 06 Marlin. I used a wire snake under the cabin headliner and ran the cable for the Fusion Remote under the headliner to the stock mounting point on the port side cabinet above the microwave. The snaking took some time and I had to go to the middle of the headliner. Take your time (maybe us the existing Kenwood wire and pull the snake thru from the stereo). I ended up needing to snake it but it worked out very well. I had to enlarge the hole in the dash for the remote. I don't use the Sirius thus don't need the antenna, just left original in place. If you want XM, you need a new antenna (existing antenna connector is unique to Kenwood) from Fusion that plugs to their head unit. Not expensive to buy.

I mounted the Fusion 2 channel amp and wire kit in the aft cabin port side bulkhead. I removed the large port side panel for access (directly under the Fusion head unit). Used 3M double sided stick tape on the amp and placed on top of the AC plastic tank then wrapped in two places with velcro straps. The tape and straps hold the unit very well and allows removal if you have to replace anything in the area and need access. Easy to run the wires from the amp to the head unit as they are close in proximty. Used a plastic cable cover for the 3rd set of speaker wires to mitigate any chaffing. I ran the wires to the cockpit circular light openings. I ended up getting a big hole saw and cut speaker holes where the cockpit lights were and installed another set of 6" Fusion speakers there. I moved the cockpit lights in the same area. I ran the starboard wire along the top edge of the aft cabin, there is a trim piece held with screws that you can run it behind. I bought a face plate off Amazon to clean up the install, really don't need it as the Fusion head is almost the same size as the Kenwood. Still have a channel for subwoofer if desired. Thought about it, but the only place I could find is starboard side of the aft seat. With the 3 speakers, more than adequate for this family. Can't say enough good things about the Fusion equipment. The Kenwood speakers were cracked and beat up and the head unit had corrosion on the circuit boards. It was time for a change.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's what I'm looking for. That area of the step. I currently have a 6inch access plate and going to install an 8inch speaker. It's not the best picture but I've circled the area I'm referring to.

Attachments

• IMG_0624~2.jpg
    IMG_0624~2.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 20