stereo upgrade in 282 sailfish

jugs06282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
hello, im looking to do a stereo upgrade on my 282 sailfish. im thinking add an amp , 4 6.5 in speakers and a sub woofer . looking for ideas on speaker placement especially the sub . ideas ? thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe you have (2) 4" in the cabin and (2) 6" in the helm area. I used 4" and 6" Fusion speakers and they were a direct replacement, I could even use the wiring as the connectors were identical. I added (2) additional 6" in the steps going to the walkaround where the circular cockpit lights are located (I assume you have these, if not the placement is on the vertical step as you go up the walk around. I used an 6" hole saw to cut the holes and I relocated the cockpit lights so I still have these.
I went with the lower cost 2 channel amp from Fusion and a Fusion head unit in the cabin. The amp was placed just inside the panel on the port side in the aft cabin. The Fusion head is great and you can control all three zones independently. I have it quieter in the helm than the cockpit and even quieter in the cabin. Didn't bother with the sub, so I'm using only one of the 2 channels on the amp. The head unit powers the other (4) speakers. If I was doing a Sub, I'd look at the area under the aft seat, not sure what year you have so can't comment on your boat. Just get good marine equipment and you'll be fine.

jugs06282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
thanks , for the input . the boat is an 06 . i was thinking i might do away with half of the storage box under the port seat for the sub . would love to have two downward facing 6.5 in speakers in the overhead electronics boxes and would use the existing speaker holes down low . not to concerned with the cabin , the 4 inch speakers will be fine in there

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I did a similar install as Fishtails. Fusion head unit, Fusion 4" speakers in the cabin and 6" at the helm all in factory openings. I installed a Fusion bridged 2-channel amp (removed refrigerator and installed in there). Installed 8" JBL subwoofer on port side cabin steps (also in refrigerator compartment).

Using the head unit to power the speakers and the amp for the sub. Sounds great and plenty loud for me. Easy install.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Ease of install is huge. The Fusion really was so simple. Check them out for sure.