stereo upgrade on 2008 marlin

Mjdap

Reaction score
I am soon to purchase a 2008 marlin and I would like to add/place 2 speakers in the cockpit, and an amplifier for those 2 speakers and the helm speakers.
So, any advice on speaker location in the cockpit and amplifier in the mid birth

Thanks

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just did an upgrade on my stereo system. I replaced the stereo with a Fusion 600 ipod stereo. It is an incredible system. I also installed a remote on the dash. I replaced the two helm speakers with two Fusion speakers. I then installed two poly planar box speakers in the cockpit under the gunnel. It was an easy installation and the additional speakers in the cockpit sound great.

Mjdap

Reaction score
Thanks, are the cockpit speakers surface mounted?, do they face each other, one on starboard and one on port? If so, I guess that configuration works ok

Did you mount an amp by any chance?

reelserious

Reaction score
The cockpit speakers on my Sailfish are also mounted under the gunnel just aft of the fishboxes/seats. They are downward facing. Great sound and well protected. Still going strong after 12 seasons. I only have 4 speakers (2 more in the cabin) so did not use a pre-amp. I also have a dash mount remote. If you don't already have one, you should consider adding it to your list.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As said above, the cockpit speakers are under the gunnel, facing down to the deck. I found there was no need to add an amp using the Fusion stereo. You may also want to consider upgrading your tv and dvd. Mine were not hd compatible nor hd over the air ready. I pulled out the old tv and dvd player and replaced it with a new led tv with dvd built in. I replaced the brakcet arm. I also installed a saucer type tv antennae. Works great. I get about 20 over the air stations.

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recently did a stereo speaker upgrade on my 2005 Marlin. It is now awesome! I used a fusion 600 stereo/ipod head unit mounted in the cabin. My speakers are all JL Audio. Best marine speakers/amps on the market. They sound great and last a long time (In fact 4 of my speakers are 5 years old from my previous GW 270 Islander). I have two 6.5" speakers in my helm area (direct fit). In my cockpit area I mounted two 6.5" speakers in my step to the walk around (your boat probably has two ATCO lights mounted here). Grady White now mounts the speakers in the step (check out the GW Marlin 300 video walk through video on you tube which will show these speakers mounted). The ATCO lights get removed. GW now mounts gunnel LED lights instead. I called GW for the info and did mine in Blue. They cost less then $100 buck and are pretty easy to mount. They tie into the same wires of the old ATCO LIGHTS. I also have two 7.7" JL Audio component speakers mounted in the electronic boxes in the helm. These shoot straight down and you can hear the stereo while running. Lastly I have a 10" JL Audio sub mounted on the bottom of the port seat in the helm, on the outside of the foot step. All of these speakers run off two JL Audio amps. I have a mono sub amp in the storage box under the port seat and a 6 channel JL Audio amp which is in the starboard seat behind the tackle boxes. My friends call my boat a stereo with engines! LOL! PM me if you want any additional info.

Rob

Mjdap

Reaction score
Rob, thanks for the heads up. I looked at the video, and spoke to customer service, and they have sent me a layout drawing. Thanks, and I will modify with the blue rope lights. I have them on my Sailfish and they look great.

Can you snap a picture some time of your amp mounting and location at the starboard seat. Thanks again

Lil Lucky

Reaction score
Did you get your stereo yet? I did mine about 2 years ago on 2002 Marlin. I put a 1900 watt JL Audio System, 22in Samsung LED TV and bluray player, 3 Ocean LED lights at the stern, blue gunnel lights as well as helm area, led lights by the steps to the walk around. I have a project this week of using the new updated badging and striping found in the 2012 marlins where the stripes go from blue to green and the new GW logos. Also, I'm converting my spreader lights to LED. The stereo system is AMAZING. It took alot of money and time to get it just right. My 3 amps were mounted on the interior wall of the aft cabin. They installed 2 extra marine batteries for the system. Just so you know, yammies can charge a 2nd battery on each motor with a kit. You might want to look into it when doing your system so that the main batteries don't get drawn too much. I'll post my pics of the work done in a week or so. My boat will be serviced the week starting the 11th of March.