Stern Heavy Voyager 248

mdscole

Reaction score
The boat has the twin 150's on the back (original 2-stroke yammis)
I added a 9.9 honda kicker and bracket (another 130-140 hanging off the rear) (trolling and non-negotiable)
There are 4 batteries in under the rear seat
Boat has the optional hard top, 2nd/aux fuel tank and fresh water tank
And bottom paint.

She's heavy, and unbalanced toward the rear.

The scuppers are dry when the boat is empty and up to 2" underwater if there's people hanging one one side in the rear while on anchor. (like fighting a fish.)

Current strategy - only maintain a small amount of fuel in the main tank and primarily run with the aux tank (less fuel and also farther forward) It helps alot. Ideally - it would be great to install a couple 150 I-4's, but that's the $25,000 solution. Other ideas are to simply remove two of the batteries or even remount the whole battery thing in the front under the cabin cushions. That doesn't appear to be very easy (no flat surface to attach to...)

Any suggestions? Diet? Be a jerk so I'm always solo?

seasick

Reaction score
Re: Stern Heavy Freedom 248

mdscole said:
The boat has the twin 150's on the back (original 2-stroke yammis)
I added a 9.9 honda kicker and bracket (another 130-140 hanging off the rear) (trolling and non-negotiable)
There are 4 batteries in under the rear seat
Boat has the optional hard top, 2nd/aux fuel tank and fresh water tank
And bottom paint.

She's heavy, and unbalanced toward the rear.

The scuppers are dry when the boat is empty and up to 2" underwater if there's people hanging one one side in the rear while on anchor. (like fighting a fish.)

Current strategy - only maintain a small amount of fuel in the main tank and primarily run with the aux tank (less fuel and also farther forward) It helps alot. Ideally - it would be great to install a couple 150 I-4's, but that's the $25,000 solution. Other ideas are to simply remove two of the batteries or even remount the whole battery thing in the front under the cabin cushions. That doesn't appear to be very easy (no flat surface to attach to...)

Any suggestions? Diet? Be a jerk so I'm always solo?

Temporarily remove 2 of the batteries and see if that makes a lot of difference. I don't think it will.
Relocating 2 of the 4 batteries is not a great solution since cable lengths to battery switches will change but if yo do move, you should move both of the house batteries and not one house and one starting,
Although it will affect speed and economy, adding weight as far forward as possible may help. You can experiment with various ballast and see.

I wasn't sure from your post if the bracket was on the kicker or the twins. If on the twins, removing the bracket could make a big difference.
One more issue is that the hull may be sitting lower than originally and that could be due to water in the foam or core.

gw204

Reaction score

Short of swapping the twins for a single or adding ballast to the bow, I don't think there is much you'll be able to do. It's still just a 24' boat and adding an extra 500 lbs. to the back corner (two guys and a kicker) is going to have a big impact.

suzukidave

Reaction score

relocate the service batteries and add ballast up front as close to the keel as you can.

mdscole

Reaction score

I think I'll start with taking out two of the 4 batteries. I have no idea why the previous owner went so over the top on battery capacity. There's almost no electrical load when the engine isn't on. Just a stereo and a fish finder.

Ballast: what do you use for ballast? Obviously something heavy and easy to move around. like gravel in a really great bag?

seasick

Reaction score

mdscole said:
I think I'll start with taking out two of the 4 batteries. I have no idea why the previous owner went so over the top on battery capacity. There's almost no electrical load when the engine isn't on. Just a stereo and a fish finder.

Ballast: what do you use for ballast? Obviously something heavy and easy to move around. like gravel in a really great bag?
Gravel can be heavy but no where as heavy per cubic foot as lead. If you have access to barbell weights, that can be a way to experiment with something that you can move around and haul in and out. Just make sure that whatever you try, the weights are not able to shift around. Not only can shifting weights be damaging but they can cause changes to handling especially when you decide to gun it and see how the hull performs. Keep in mind that the more weight and the more forward it is the more the stern will level out but the hull will sit deeper too.
If possible for the weight tests, use the anchor locker for the weights or the center forward cabin locker if you have one.
Wrap the weights in bath towels to add some cushioning to protect the surrounding surfaces.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Cobblestones weigh a lot for their size, are square edged, and talk about OEM. That is exactly their intended purpose!

Just a thought...

seasick

Reaction score
journeyman said:
Cobblestones weigh a lot for their size, are square edged, and talk about OEM. That is exactly their intended purpose!

Just a thought...
I wonder how many understand what you mean about "their intended purpose". I won't give away the history:)

mdscole

Reaction score
seasick said:
journeyman said:

Just a thought...
I wonder how many understand what you mean about "their intended purpose". I won't give away the history:)
:huh

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Cobblestones were used in sailing ships as ballast when they left port empty or light in load on their way to the New World. The stones were stacked up against the ship's hull, thus the shape being square. When they got here, they unloaded the stones and we, the inventive type, used them to pave streets. Many older cities still have cobblestone streets either by design as ambiance or still laying beneath the surface of asphalt.

My father worked for the local DPW and when they would tear up a street, the stones would go to the landfill. He saw the value in them and would often dump a truck load in our driveway at lunch. My job after school was to knock off the cement with a mason's hammer and stack them. Thousands of them!!! Later, he bought some land in Maine to build his retirement home and we had cobblestone walls, walkways and a massive cobblestone fireplace. Very nice. I still have a pile of them in my yard today. I'll build something someday...

suzukidave

Reaction score
cobblestones are a bit spend these days. i'd use whatever is handy temporarily to figure out what weight you need then order some true ballast. containers of water or fuel are good.

as for what they use today, i'd call a commercial marine place and ask for ballast. bags of lead shot are what i have seen used in sailboat keels. it looks like it is still sold.

http://www.rotometals.com/Lead-Shot-s/64.htm

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Adding weight is not the resolution. Does your boat even have a real problem? If two guys go to the same side of a boat with an 8'6" beam, the boat will list by 2" plus. The deeper the V the more it'll tip at anchor.

Do other 248 sit at the dock at the same angle?

suzukidave

Reaction score
Another Distraction said:
Adding weight is not the resolution. Does your boat even have a real problem? If two guys go to the same side of a boat with an 8'6" beam, the boat will list by 2" plus. The deeper the V the more it'll tip at anchor.

Do other 248 sit at the dock at the same angle?

good point. I originally read that as two 4 strokes