Stern lines at dock

GreatNate

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am docking my boat at a new slip and the dock cleat configuration doesn't work the best for crossing my stern lines. In order to keep my crossed stern lines away from my outboard is there any harm in running them from the boat cleat, through the tow loop, and then to the dock cleat? Any help is much appreciated.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There is no problem for the tow/tie down eye, it's probably the strongest connection you have. Just be aware that for long term tie-up in that configuration there could be some chafing where the line passes through the transom eye due to the stretch factor in the line. You can easily make some chafing gear by sliding a short piece of garden hose over the line and restrain it so it can't slide down out of the eye. Also watch for marring of the fiberglass and rubrail.

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Don’t cross the lines over the outboard. I don‘t cross mine lines because it wears the paint off the motors. Tie the back straight to the cleats and use your spring lines to control the boat moving side to side.

seasick

Reaction score
Don’t cross the lines over the outboard. I don‘t cross mine lines because it wears the paint off the motors. Tie the back straight to the cleats and use your spring lines to control the boat moving side to side.
I agree. Use spring lines to maintain position along slip

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I believe he was saying to avoid crossing them (the motors), so he was not going to cross them...i.e., he knows not to cross them.

@op - what Half said;)