Stern overboard drain tubing replacement

UpGrady

Reaction score
Took at look at this job over the weekend on my 86' Sailfish with I/O's... freshwater boat, so the tubing has remained in reasonable condition, but it's on borrowed time and I want to change it out. I am guessing that a dremel might be the best way to remove the tubing off the stern drain? It's pretty much welded on there and with limited access to tug and pull, I don't see any other options. Going to do it on Friday, so any input will be appreciated!

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just use a sharpened screwdriver or a small chisel and make a cut lengthwise inside the tube. remember this is soft thin brass, not steel. Then start bending the flare in towards the center of the tube as if you are collapsing the tube. Fold both cut edges inward and it should slide out. It should take about 10 minutes at most to remove one tube.

As far as fitting the new tube, there have been several threads about that. You can purchase or borrow a Mohler flare kit or make one from wheel lugs. I lathered the inside of the hole with a polysulfide sealant (4000 or 5200?) prior to inserting the new tubing. One of the difficulties is that the hole is not drilled perpendicular to the transom and it is difficult to make the flare but not impossible. Make a mess with the sealant before flaring to insure a good seal is made then clean it up with acetone.

richie rich

Reaction score
Or, forget the metal drain tubes....epoxy and glass the hole...ream it out, fair and gelcoat/paint the hole for a monochrome look....no metal tube required...never replace them again......just a different approach?

UpGrady

Reaction score
Guys,

Thx, but let me reclarify, I am not replacing the overboard fitting, just the tubing from the deck scuppers to the overboard fitting. I am looking to get the tubing off the overboard fitting.

richie rich

Reaction score
Doh! :p

You mean your replacing the hose between your deck drain and thruhull fitting/scupper?

Just use a sharp utility knife to cut the old one off...a dremel may be a bit much....if the hose has a metal wire in it, when you cut down through the rubber and expose the wire, just use sharp ended wire cutters to snip it. You should be able to get a flat screwdriver between the lengthwise cut hose and the fitting and peel it off...once its loosened a bit, you should be able to wiggle it off completely....there will be some swearing involved no matter which approach you take if its that tight in there! If the thruhull is old and plastic, you may want to do those as well while you're at it.