sticker removal

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
replacing my boat identification numbers, hard to get off and leave the sticky glue behind , any ideas what to use to remove the sticky film with out harming the gel coat,

seafarer94

Reaction score
I just used cleaner wax or oxidation remover and it comes right off. I wiped it down with dawn soap if you use cleaner wax for the new numbers to stick.

seasick

Reaction score
max366 said:
I've had good success with a decal eraser wheel. Works like a pencil eraser and shreds the old decal and removes the adhesive as well. Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00488DDB8/re ... TY6CQ7JHQ5
The Goof Off stuff they sell pretty much everywhere will most likely work. You can also try WD-40. It dissolves a lot of things. In both cases, you need to wash with soap and rinse to get the oily residue off.
There are really only a few basic universal solvents: Water:), alcohol, acetone and lacquer thinner. WD-40 contains benzene

rpc

Reaction score
Try Goo Gone. I use it all the time for adhesive residue removal. works great

seasick

Reaction score
rpc said:
Try Goo Gone. I use it all the time for adhesive residue removal. works great
I think the Goo Gone and Goof Off are pretty much the same solvent.

seasick

Reaction score
Harpoon said:
Yup, heat gun to remove the vinyl but in reading the original post, it seems like the issue is the residual adhesive after the letters were removed. The Goo Gone will not penetrate the vinyl.