Storing Batteries on Concrete? Yeah or Nay?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've seen references that say it will drain the battery. Have seen other references that say it's OK.

Any double E's out there that can say for sure? Is this an wives fable? Thank you.

seasick

Reaction score
In the old days of lead acid batteries, the case was made form different material than today's batteries. Although some may have a different opinion, todays batteries are fine sitting on concrete. That said, are you pulling out your batteries during off season storage. I haven't done that in many years. It's too mush work and unless they would be subjected to hot temps during storage, they will hold up fine. If your batteries will be subjected to freezing temps, either in your boat or your garage, they must be fully charged since discharged batteries (lead acid) freeze at higher temps than fully charged ones.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yup, that's info from the "olden days" due to the case design. Problem is, because of the internet and forums (not THIS one!), misinformation gets passed along since someone will "hear" that concrete will discharge a battery and passes it along as fact and then it just keeps getting worse and worse. Lot's of self-proclaimed internet experts out there.

One correction to what Seasick wrote - and this was just due to mistyping, I'm sure... "discharged batteries (lead acid) freeze at LOWER temps than fully charged ones. "

Fishtales

Reaction score
No need to pull out. We disconnect the negative followed by the positive leads and clean at the end of the season. Never had an issue.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Same here disconnect the leads, wire tie all wires that go to each terminal so you have an easy reconnect in the spring

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yup, that's info from the "olden days" due to the case design. Problem is, because of the internet and forums (not THIS one!), misinformation gets passed along since someone will "hear" that concrete will discharge a battery and passes it along as fact and then it just keeps getting worse and worse. Lot's of self-proclaimed internet experts out there.

One correction to what Seasick wrote - and this was just due to mistyping, I'm sure... "discharged batteries (lead acid) freeze at LOWER temps than fully charged ones. "
I’ve always heard that seasick had it right. You seem to be saying that a discharged battery is more cold resistant? I don’t know for sure, but I had always heard that a discharged battery would freeze at temperatures higher than one fully charged. Do not have the problem in Florida, but up north I kept a maintenance charger on my batteries throughout the winter.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I’ve always heard that seasick had it right. You seem to be saying that a discharged battery is more cold resistant? I don’t know for sure, but I had always heard that a discharged battery would freeze at temperatures higher than one fully charged. Do not have the problem in Florida, but up north I kept a maintenance charger on my batteries throughout the winter.
No, but I see where the confusion is, now. I misread what Seasick wrote and the way I responded made it confusing. I think I was just reading and responding too quickly. Yes, a discharged battery will freeze before a fully charged one. o_O

Reactions: wspitler

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
No. Wipe them down - nice clean and dry. Put them on wood and cover loosely with plastic. Dirt and moisture will discharge them.

Personally I leave them in the boat on a good charger all winter. Never a problem.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Temperature aside, you can keep your batteries on concrete or timber it will not make any difference . We don't have cold temperatures here so I don't know what effect very low temps will have on battery life.

seasick

Reaction score
Temperature aside, you can keep your batteries on concrete or timber it will not make any difference . We don't have cold temperatures here so I don't know what effect very low temps will have on battery life.
Leaving them in the boat as opposed to taking them out does make a difference though. Removing them can greatly affect your back and spine!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ve been leaving mine in place on the boat with Deltran battery tenders hooked up. I make sure the terminals are clean and tight. The boats has a canvas cover over it and is parked under a carport. I’ve been storing it this way for years. I did have to replace one of the batteries last year but that one had lasted 9 years. The port side battery may go past that.
The battery from my tin boat is removed and stored on a block of wood in my barn with a battery tender attached.
One thing to note is to be damned careful with sparks around a charging battery. I had one blow one time and I think my ears may still be ringing from that blast. Not something to risk.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I avoid picking up lead in any form whenever possible. Thus in place if able (almost always) fully charged and on a maintainer/sulfinator

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In the old days of lead acid batteries, the case was made form different material than today's batteries. Although some may have a different opinion, todays batteries are fine sitting on concrete. That said, are you pulling out your batteries during off season storage. I haven't done that in many years. It's too mush work and unless they would be subjected to hot temps during storage, they will hold up fine. If your batteries will be subjected to freezing temps, either in your boat or your garage, they must be fully charged since discharged batteries (lead acid) freeze at higher temps than fully charged ones.
I'm storing the batteries in my garage for now, boat is 200 miles away in MD. Sam's Club has too good of a deal to pass up. Basically I'm getting two batteries for the price of one because they are also offering incentives on membership fees. I probably won't be putting them in the boat until mid-April. Thanks for the information. Hot Ajax

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sitting on concrete does not drain them. It is a dirty top that leads to self draining batteries.

seasick

Reaction score
Sitting on concrete does not drain them. It is a dirty top that leads to self draining batteries.
That's an interesting comment. It made me think about salt air and mist that settles on the battery. When damp, that could act as a conductor.

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
A good practice is to put a good coat of Dielectric Grease on the terminals when you are storing a battery.

Reactions: Matteo