Stress Crack in 190 Tournament

PS Guy

Reaction score
I am looking at buying an 88 190 tournament that appears to be in good shape. There is a crack at the back corner on both the right and left side that concerns me.
The transom shows no sign of flex and appears to be solid with the 200 hp Johnson on it.
The crack runs vertically up the corner and across a couple inches to the cleat a at the top.
Has anyone experienced stress cracks like these and should I be concerned about purchasing the boat.
See attached pictures.
Thanks
PS Guy

Attachments

• Stress crack along right corner and top near cleat.JPG
    Stress crack along right corner and top near cleat.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 994
  • Slight stess crack on left corner.JPG
    Slight stess crack on left corner.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 994
  • Outside Back End.JPG
    Outside Back End.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 994

seasick

Reaction score
PS Guy said:
I am looking at buying an 88 190 tournament that appears to be in good shape. There is a crack at the back corner on both the right and left side that concerns me.
The transom shows no sign of flex and appears to be solid with the 200 hp Johnson on it.
The crack runs vertically up the corner and across a couple inches to the cleat a at the top.
Has anyone experienced stress cracks like these and should I be concerned about purchasing the boat.
See attached pictures.
Thanks
PS Guy
Re-sizing the photos might help. I really can't tell what I am looking at.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I found a trick, a few months ago, to see these kind of pictures better (the ones that show up on the forum as these do). Drag the picture up to your window "tabs" to make a new window.

They cracks could just be from an area where the gelcoat was applied a little too thick, coupled with a natural flex point of the boat and the underlying glass may be completely solid. But really, there is no way to give a definitive answer from pictures. You'll need to check out the glass and also 'sound' the area with small hammer or even a nickel. It may be completely cosmetic (and I would lean towards thinking that, too), but to be sure it will need to physically be checked out.

PS Guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the resizing photo suggestion. I was wondering why they did not appear properly.Will try to figure out how to do that.

suzukidave

Reaction score
i think maybe there has been someone quite large climbing into the boat from a dock using the stern seats as a step.

my 86 190 does not have those cracks up high but it does have a smaller hairline crack on one corner of the same inner stern liner where the lip holds the rear seat. and i have always assumed it's because those lips are inadequate for the job they are asked to do.

i would not worry about it.

PS Guy

Reaction score
Finally decided to go ahead and purchase the boat but it was sold.