Stringer seperation in 2004 Marlin

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
So clearly I have an issue here. You are looking at a crack (separating from hull) in one of the the stern port side stringers behind the generator platform, just forward of the transom. We noticed it after doing some work in that compartment. I poked a screw driver into the crack and could not get through the other side, there is moisture, however the wood does not seem to be rotten at all, just the fiberglass matt that bonds the stringer to the hull cracked. There is also a separating fiberglass matt just inboard of the crack that is peeling away from the hull, you can also see that in the picture.

What are you guy's thoughts here on how scary this is? What do you think could be causing it? I am sure I could have the crack ground down and re-glassed pretty easy, but if it is a symptom of something else I would rather address that first. The boat is well cared for and in good condition. The transom is solid, I just had the engine bolts resealed, all the wood was dry. Thanks for any input here, I am a bit concerned if you can't tell!

grady crack.jpggrady crack 2.jpggrady cradck 3.jpg

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That vent in the corner there that looks to be disconnected, do you have a pic of it from the outside and a general pic of that entire side, from the outside?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Did the plywood come like that from the factory? I've never seen anything like that before on a GW.
How long have you owned the boat? Appears that there may have been some repairs or something....

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
All is original from Grady, no repairs. The plywood platform is for the generator which was removed. Grady called this morning, they did not have much concern about the small seem of mat pulling up, but were perplexed with the crack between the stringer and hull. They said it probably just needs to be re-glassed. I took it to my fiberglass guy this morning, he is digging into it but is not too concerned. The wood is all solid, the moisture I found is only in the crack and probably from water splashing while on the trailer. The fiberglass guy seems to think it just may have been a piece of fiberglass mat that was not soaked with resin properly at the factory... I will update when I get more info later this week. Thanks for the responses.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I would want to pull the deck and look at the rest of it.

that tank is water or grey water? its stock? those frames glassed?

photo is looking forward?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Makes sense, I've never had the generator out. Would have thought all those pieces would be glassed though.

Scott D

Reaction score
Not the OP but also have an 04 Marlin. It’s a 30 gallon freshwater tank. I haven’t had it out but have removed the shelf in front of it. All that looks stock and just like my 04.

The photo is looking aft. That freshwater tank is on the centerline and against the transom and the Fischer Panda generator, which he has removed, sits just forward of the tank.

Good luck OP. I would do the same as you and have it looked at by a good fiberglass guy.

Scott D

Reaction score
Also the open hose is the end of the bilge blower which should be open to pull fumes out. The cracked area is not an outside portion of the hull. The stringer is a couple feet up from the keel. Outside and more starboard of the cracked area is where the 4 batteries are mounted.

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Also the open hose is the end of the bilge blower which should be open to pull fumes out. The cracked area is not an outside portion of the hull. The stringer is a couple feet up from the keel. Outside and more starboard of the cracked area is where the 4 batteries are mounted.
Scott, thanks for chiming in here. All Scott says is correct, view is looking aft. Hopefully I will hear something today. Fiberglass guy was going to grind everything down and get a good look before he started to re-glass mat back in.

Last edited:

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ok good news... All is well :). I will post pictures when it stops raining, but my amazing fiberglass guy cut out the generator platform and worked forward. Crack did not go too far and appears to be the result of either contamination in the area during original layup or just not enough glass being put down. He ground everything down to either glass or wood, nothing wet, then reglassed the entire area, built a new platform and painted gelcoat over everything. It looks great and smells like a new boat :). I am pretty relieved, I was stressing there a bit. Thanks for the comments guys.

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Photos as promised. If anybody needs good glass work done in Key Largo, I will recommend All Aboard Fiberglass Repair all day long. Great people!

Attachments

• IMG_0002 2.jpg
    IMG_0002 2.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 46

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Good! Now that you received good news about your cracked areas, I want to take a second and thank you for your trailering input concerning overwide permits & routing. I trailered our Marlin to Michigan this summer and because of input from you and Dennis, the trip worked out well.

Sorry about going off-subject here, but I haven't seen you on here much and I wanted to take this opportunity to say your advice & input was much appreciated.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks good. Keep an eye on it.

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Good! Now that you received good news about your cracked areas, I want to take a second and thank you for your trailering input concerning overwide permits & routing. I trailered our Marlin to Michigan this summer and because of input from you and Dennis, the trip worked out well.

Sorry about going off-subject here, but I haven't seen you on here much and I wanted to take this opportunity to say your advice & input was much appreciated.

Great to hear!!!! I think that is sooo awesome to have a boat the size and capability of a Marlin, and be able to move it cross country on our own. That alone just saved me thousands of dollars being able to take the boat to a glass shop vs have it hauled and a glass man work remotely. I know who to ask about permits out of Florida now :). Any good pictures from the trip?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yeah, a couple decent shots. I'll get them on here when my sig other is home to help. I'm challenged with computer-oriented stuff.