Stripe removal

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Part of my refresh was to redo the stripe and cabin side decals with the 228 call outs. Got all stripes removed along with the decals, will buff the cabin sides since I didn't get to it last year when I did the hull. She looks clean without the stripe, but to me, the stripe is part of the beauty of the Grady.

Attachments

• 20180413_233109_crop_554x554.jpg
    20180413_233109_crop_554x554.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 809

Jody

Reaction score
Agree, mine were made buy a guy in NJ fit perfectly.

handinpalm

Reaction score
Ky Grady said:
Part of my refresh was to redo the stripe and cabin side decals with the 228 call outs. Got all stripes removed along with the decals, will buff the cabin sides since I didn't get to it last year when I did the hull. She looks clean without the stripe, but to me, the stripe is part of the beauty of the Grady.

@ky grady , What did you use to remove your stripes? A solvent like Goo Gone, acatone? Any tips.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Looks good. I have removed the stripe on all my Gradys. The stripes were kind of beat up when I bought the boats, so I just removed them. Personally I think it gives it a cleaner look. Easy to do with a heat gun and razor blade. Foe the adhesive, I used goo gone and acetone for tougher spots, then re-waxed.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
handinpalm said:
@ky grady , What did you use to remove your stripes? A solvent like Goo Gone, acatone? Any tips.

I started with heat gun and saw that wasn't going to work, coming off in little pieces, stripes were too brittle from age. Went to local Advance auto parts store and bought a rubber wheel designed to remove decals and stripes that goes on a drill. They had two, a 3M one for $45 or generic one for $14, both essentially the same. Went with $14 one and worked fine, did the whole job and have about half left. After all removed, went back wth 3M adhesive remover on a rag and cleaned up the area for any residual adhesive, there were a few spots, but not many. After that a quick wipedown with Acetone and let air dry.

I will say this. Go slow with the rubber wheel speed!!! I started of too fast and basically heated up the old stipe and burnt it into the gelcoat for about six inches. Had to stop and hand sand that area to make sure it would come out. It did with a little work. Lesson learned. Also started with cordless drill, that didn't take long to figure out. Went and dug out my old corded drill, which turned out to be easier to handle and maintain a slower speed with, no more burnt stripes. Taking my time and with beer breaks, have about 3 hours or so for removal I think.

I've started putting the stripes back on and am happy with the results. Bringing life back into the old girl!! She had a weathered look for 14 years old.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
New stripes going back on.

Attachments

• IMG_1751.JPG
    IMG_1751.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 755

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good match with my custom registration numbers too.

Attachments

• IMG_1752.JPG
    IMG_1752.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 751

Fishtales

Reaction score
you can go to your dealer and they usually have all the different stripes on rolls. you can ask for some small pieces and when you decide, either order through them or online.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Fishtales said:
you can go to your dealer and they usually have all the different stripes on rolls. you can ask for some small pieces and when you decide, either order through them or online.

Took a picture of my old stripes and my dealer matched up what I needed. A little bit of change from '04 to '18 on the stripe, but essentially the same.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
handinpalm said:
Your boat looks new again. Good job and thanks for the tips.

That's my plan. It's a lot of work, but the end game is what I'm after. I have a good base to start with, she just needed a refresh!! 8)

JeffN

Reaction score
Redid the stripes on mine a few years back. Got them off and thought about not replacing them and left them off for a week or two before launch. Decided I liked the look with stripes better, so I replaced them. Guess I like the classic look. To each their own.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
JeffN said:
Redid the stripes on mine a few years back. Got them off and thought about not replacing them and left them off for a week or two before launch. Decided I liked the look with stripes better, so I replaced them. Guess I like the classic look. To each their own.

I'm with you. I like the classic look also.