Stripers

striped bass

Reaction score
Caught three of these on Thursday night.

IMG_1117.JPG

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We only have the landlocked variety in the lakes here in SC. Nice fish, how much did it weigh?

striped bass

Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to weigh it, but my guess is between 25 and 30 lbs.

Jekyl - My godson and nephew lives on Windemere Blvd over on Johns Island probably not too far from you. Does Charleston Harbor have similar size fish? We were in Charleston for a month this spring and there were a lot of fishermen in the harbor,

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you have me confused with strikezone. I'm in OZ and we primarily fish all year on the reefs for (food) bottom fish, Winter for tagging juvenile black marlin and summer in the creeks for Barramundi.
DSCF5108.jpg

DSCF5189.jpg

Just a couple of recent catches.
I would love to get into a big striper . Do you use the trolling boards?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Striped,
I don't fish a lot in Charleston Harbor but some folks pull out redfish in the fall that are similar in size to your striper. Another larger fish that's caught nearshore is cobia, which can be caught around some of the shipping channel buoys.

Jekyl,
I love the different fish that you catch down under as well as the scenery. My ultimate travel plans would be to spend some time in Australia.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You are all welcome to come fish with us any time . It is very warm in the summer (think Florida) and perfect in Winter, april- october.

striped bass

Reaction score
Jekly:
Those are some fantastic fish! How far off shore do you go to get those?

We use a trolling rod and reel. A tube and a worm for bait usually does the trick. Nothing fancy required.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The coral trout RH fish and Red Emperor LH fish are found in 100+ ft for the big ones usually however trout can be caught around any coral structure. The emperor is usually found in the deeper water. Legal size for those is 55cm minimum so that one is just legal. My son caught a bigger one on the same day in 175 ft of water. This was on hard bottom several miles from the nearest reef. They are considered to be the ultimate table/fighting fish at the reef.
DSCF5197.jpg