Strong gas smell after fueling

gillikinsh

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 1993 Adventure 208. Immediately after fueling the boat there is a strong odor of gasoline in the cockpit and this persists until the fuel level lowers significantly. This has only recently been noticed. Today after putting approximately 50 gallons in the boat the gas odor was very noticeable and when I was cleaning the boat after use and removed the hull plug today there was definitely gas in the water coming out of the hull. I am thinking I may have a cracked filler hose from the fill cap to the tank. Has anyone else experienced this and any advice for getting to this hose to check it. Any schematic would be appreciated. Thanks

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Had a similar problem when I purchased my '84 Offshore.

Found the fill hose dry rotted.

Not an easy job unfortunately.

gxsess

Reaction score
same problem on mine dry rotted fill hose and a hole in the tank at the fuel sender bolts new tank new hoses 2 awful jobs

gillikinsh

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Is there any guideance (tricks) to getting the fill hose off. I know access to the tank is through the floor panel but it looks like a monster to get to the fill hose. Also the fuel gauge goes from reading to off, reading to off. I read on here where that may be ground issue at the sender or the power wire.

cletus9000

Reaction score
I had a gas leak problem earlier this year. It was a bad seal on the sending unit in the main tank of my 258. Had to pull the back plate off, not an easy job for 1, but doable. Simple fix once I identified the problem, which was easy to see with the entire tank exposed.

gillikinsh

Reaction score
I am hoping I will have some degree of luck and it will be a relatively simple fix. Since I have only noticed the smell after fueling I am hoping it is either the sending unit or a fill hose. We will see and I will let everyone know the outcome. Thanks for your input everyone.

mike622

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the same issue the first time I filled my forward tank and found numerous holes due to corrosion in the top of the tank. Looked like someone shot it with bird shot from a shotgun. Got thinking about the aux tank and found it in the same condition. Absolutely no air ventilation in the tank wells to prevent moisture accumulation on my grady. It was an easy change out for both tanks. ('86 255 Sailfish)
Totally agree with Nothing Else Matters, do not use the boat until you fix the problem. Gas vapors dont require much ignition to explode.

seasick

Reaction score
At some point in time. 208s came with poly tanks. Mine is poly but I don't know when that started. If you have a poly tank, it is not prone to corrosion or pin holes. I think that if you boat has a deck that can be removed without having to cut it out, the tank is metal.

Changing the hoses can be a nightmare. One method that may help is connecting the new hoses to the old ones at the filler access point, undoing the clamps at fuel filler fitting ( you will need to remove some of the starboard helm trim and possibly some caulking. Make the new hoses longer than needed and don't trim until the filler is reconnected and screwed to the gunnel. But marine grade clamps made for fuel lines. Remove the pergo fuel filler fitting (screws) and try to pull the new hose using the old one. You will need to replace both fill and vent. Sometimes due to manufacturing differences, you may have to cut the side of the helm to get access. Cut it so that a new access plate can later be installed

Reactions: PNW_Drifter