Stumbling across wasted space while crawling around my 330...

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've spent a few weekends disassembling my new-to-me 2002 330 and am really surprised at how much space seems to be inaccessible or wasted... feels like in many cases Grady was trying to make the boat look finished at the expense of a fair bit of room. This isn't a criticism of Grady, I saw a lot of the same on some of the big intrepid walkarounds and maybe it's just a side effect of assembly, but still surprised me. Maybe there's just so much room they figure it didn't matter?

Some of these have been tweaked in the newer years, although I think much has not. My observations:

- The fridge is so far up off the floor because of a huge stringer underneath. You could go down 2-3" further down if you really tried, except the A/C ductwork comes UP from the bottom of the hull behind it. The whole thing though is probably only 2" shy of being able to mount a 30% bigger fridge in there, if only they had made the "tv stand" a little higher.

- Forward of the fridge there's a large (unfinished) area that looks like it could hold a decent amount of stuff.. It could be accessible (but awkward) through the outside edge of the floppy grady storage area if you put an access door on that side. Not sure why they didn't expand that space to port.

- Curiosity got the better of me and I removed the upholstered panels on the sides with the "indirect lighting" behind them. I was shocked that another 6-8" of width was hiding behind there. It's a shame there isn't something more clever to hide that liner/deck joint because it almost looks good without them and definitely feels bigger.

- The 3 lower drawers in my galley are tiny compared to the area behind that assembly

- The holding tank and pumps takes up 85% of the space on the starboard side under the berth, but on the port side there's just the fresh/saltwater pumps and feels like plenty of space in front of them

- There's almost a foot of inaccessible space outboard of the port passenger seat. If you take out that tackle storage tray, you could stuff a dead body in there through the hole. I have plans to install helm AC there, like on the newer boats.

- I'm perplexed about the head layout, as it feels like it is much more contoured than it needs to be and I can't quite place all the angles. I took off the padded hump at the top to find out that it is completely empty and again is mostly just hiding a hull to deck joint. This made for a good wiring chase but opens up the headroom without it there.

- I still haven't seen the water heater but it's shocking that it's hiding in there on the starboard side

- There also seems to be a ton of space under the swim step on the starboard side, but I can't figure out what I'd do with it. I'm assuming that almost every step on the boat has some space behind it unused.

- I'm still a little stumped at the design of the helm and all the room underneath it, but I realize that the electronics pod is "a grady thing"

What else have I not discovered yet?

Last edited:

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was shocked to find the huge storage under the bow berth. I had assumed/been told that the thruster was there, and did not discover it until having the boat for a couple of months.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've spent a few weekends disassembling my new-to-me 2002 330 and am really surprised at how much space seems to be inaccessible or wasted... feels like in many cases Grady was trying to make the boat look finished at the expense of a fair bit of room. This isn't a criticism of Grady, I saw a lot of the same on some of the big intrepid walkarounds and maybe it's just a side effect of assembly, but still surprised me. Maybe there's just so much room they figure it didn't matter?

Some of these have been tweaked in the newer years, although I think much has not. My observations:

- The fridge is so far up off the floor because of a huge stringer underneath. You could go down 2-3" further down if you really tried, except the A/C ductwork comes UP from the bottom of the hull behind it. The whole thing though is probably only 2" shy of being able to mount a 30% bigger fridge in there, if only they had made the "tv stand" a little higher.

- Forward of the fridge there's a large (unfinished) area that looks like it could hold a decent amount of stuff.. It could be accessible (but awkward) through the outside edge of the floppy grady storage area if you put an access door on that side. Not sure why they didn't expand that space to port.

- Curiosity got the better of me and I removed the upholstered panels on the sides with the "indirect lighting" behind them. I was shocked that another 6-8" of width was hiding behind there. It's a shame there isn't something more clever to hide that liner/deck joint because it almost looks good without them and definitely feels bigger.

- The 3 lower drawers in my galley are tiny compared to the area behind that assembly

- The holding tank and pumps takes up 85% of the space on the starboard side under the berth, but on the port side there's just the fresh/saltwater pumps and feels like plenty of space in front of them

- There's almost a foot of inaccessible space outboard of the port passenger seat. If you take out that tackle storage tray, you could stuff a dead body in there through the hole. I have plans to install helm AC there, like on the newer boats.

- I'm perplexed about the head layout, as it feels like it is much more contoured than it needs to be and I can't quite place all the angles. I took off the padded hump at the top to find out that it is completely empty and again is mostly just hiding a hull to deck joint. This made for a good wiring chase but opens up the headroom without it there.

- I still haven't seen the water heater but it's shocking that it's hiding in there on the starboard side

- There also seems to be a ton of space under the swim step on the starboard side, but I can't figure out what I'd do with it. I'm assuming that almost every step on the boat has some space behind it unused.

- I'm still a little stumped at the design of the helm and all the room underneath it, but I realize that the electronics pod is "a grady thing"

What else have I not discovered yet?

My 33 Bertram was the same way. Outboard of the salon on both sides. There was massive space below the side decks. I made cut outs and added Louvered doors. It gave us a ton of storage for cruising. I’m going to do something similar on the port side of the midship berth. I've been in there putting new pumps in and tightening up the plumbing. There plenty room to store a duffle bag or two.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was shocked to find the huge storage under the bow berth. I had assumed/been told that the thruster was there, and did not discover it until having the boat for a couple of months.

I don’t think that space up there is totally dry? I think there are limber holes from the anchor rope locker. I’m not sure, but it’s worth checking before you put anything important up there.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I don’t think that space up there is totally dry? I think there are limber holes from the anchor rope locker. I’m not sure, but it’s worth checking before you put anything important up there.

Could be damp. I don't recall there being any holes in that compartment - at least there were none on the the floor - it was a minor concern as the compartment was filthy when I bought the boat, and I had to use wet rags rather than sponge and hose to clean it. Seems odd that Grady would design the compartment to drain something like the anchor locker, without access to the bilge. Either way, I've used it for storing stuff that I don't mind getting damp.

Reactions: usmm1234

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’m going to look on my next trip to the marina. The previous owner put his bottom fishing/backup anchor, chain and rode in there. Maybe that’s what gave me the impression that there was a moisture source? I can see it’s been wet. It definitely would be a nice addition to our “dry storage” space When cruising. Tnanks.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’m going to look on my next trip to the marina. The previous owner put his bottom fishing/backup anchor, chain and rode in there. Maybe that’s what gave me the impression that there was a moisture source? I can see it’s been wet. It definitely would be a nice addition to our “dry storage” space When cruising. Tnanks.

Curious to see what you find out. My boat is 45 min away and still tightly under wraps, so not an option to check now.