Stumped with a wet cabin

slipkid

Reaction score
I had a similar slow leak that drove me crazy. I checked/caulked every thing until I finally found a small chip (about 1 mm!) in the gellcoat on the deck up by the walkaround. Fiberglass is porous so the water weaped right through. I patched it with the Grady gellcoat kit and the problem stopped. Good reason to inspect the boat closely and repair any chips you find, especially on the hull or transom!

Tom H

Reaction score
Don't panic

Hi Slipkid,
I've been looking with interest waiting for someone to respond to your posting, no one has so I thought I'd better so as to prevent owners taking it to literally, no disrespect intended.
Yes fibreglass matting is porous and for a good reason, so any boat builder worth his salt can effectively work the resin into the fibres which makes it totally water proof and obtain the maximun strenght in his product. In fact on a really well layed up boat the gelcote really is cosmetic. Gelcote is not a good waterproofing product as it does not flex hence the crazing in corners etc you see on many boats (very impressed to say none on my Marlin).
Occasionally tiny air pockets are missed (your case). Poorly layed up hulls or ones done in the wrong weather in uncontrolled moist conditions will cause osmosis and the problems you've mentioned, not Gradys I hope.
If ever a boat salesman tells you that a chip in the gel will let water in and wreck the boat he's trying to sell you- Start running.
Enjoy your boating and do fix those chips but don't panic when you see one.
Tom

lgusto

Reaction score
Thought it was time to post an update....

My Grady salesman, Ron Dearborn at Port Harbor Marine, wasn't happy until I was happy and had the dealership take care of the leaking stanchion problems at no cost. Port Harbor even provided me with a slip for about six weeks this spring until my home marina got their docks in. Ron's the best.

Anyway, the boat's been dry until this past weekend when we came home from 35 miles offshore in choppy 3-5's and found water on the cabin floor that had leaked down from the cabin sides. I now think the joint under the rub rail is leaking. So, I have more to do about the wet cabin issues.

I love my Gulfstream in every other respect. Shame about the leaky cabin.

IE330

Reaction score
I have a 2004 330 Express, the boat still leaks after 2 attempts by Grady to repair the hull to deck joint. It is sad that Grady does not back this up under their 5 year warranty.

striped bass

Reaction score
Grady White is a PRODUCTION boat manufacturer just like all the other manufacturers in its class. Production boat manufacturers must compete on price in the market place with the competition consequently they all use sloppy manufacturing processes and substandard materials where the customer can't see to save costs and lower the purchase price. Five or ten years down the road the 2nd or 3rd owner gets stuck with problems that were created long ago during the manufacturing process at the Grady factory in Greenville. Very common in the industry. On par with the leaking cabins are the rotted Grady decks caused by drilling screws directly into the cockpit fiberglass deck panels without properly embedding the screws. Water leaks through the deck at the screw heads and the deck panels rot very quickly. I like the idea of reconditioning Gradys at the factory during the slowdown. FIRST, however, Grady must change their manufacturing processes to remedy the sloppy work or else owners will get back the same old same old. IMHO Grady will not change unless their is a FORMAL users group (like in the computer industry) that can vociferously drive their points home to Grady leadership. This forum is helpful but we are all decentralized and hit Grady in ones and twos which they can easily fend off.

striped bass

Reaction score
Just an idea that has been floated several times on this forum. I can't claim originality.
Actually, Grady dealerships are equipped to fix their boats so it is not necessary to travel back to the factory.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What's this 5 yr crap?

If it leaks, does it mean it wasn't built properly from day one? If so, and you were the original purchaser, you have a case for a day in court.

Unless,:
Did it wear out for wear and tear?
Is it a replacement maintenance item?
Was it abused?
Was it used commercially?
Is it called for recaulking per owners manual?

You just need an expert to show at small claims court with some photosin hand - may have to travel and take time.

But this usually doesn't occur when people have to pay experts and lawyers, it's not worth it, and manufactuers know there is no legal defintion of "quality" for plaintiffs to bring to court.

No other recourse, so hang lemons from it and park it in front of local Grady dealer / town boat ramp / town marina dock, etc,. and blog all day on THT. This technique has been well established due to car manufactures screw ups, same story.