Substitute for seastart steering fluid?

lime4x4

Reaction score
Is anyone running a different type of fluid? I know seastar highly recomends there fluid at almost 30 bucks a quart. After getting my engine remounted i went to bleed the power steering and i had a 1/2 a quart laying around. Well nothing but yucky fluid came out of the bleeders. So i want to completely flush the system out

mboyatt

Reaction score
That stuff is outrageous. But I have always bit the bullet and paid for the seastar brand. Luckily, I have only purchased 2 quarts in my time boating. Never really had helm issues. I too would like to know if there is a tried and true alternative that is half the price.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I wouldn't be surprised if there is. But I bought the fancy stuff, too. To me, it wasn't worth the time to research it well enough to where I felt comfortable. If this was an every-year thing, I might rethink it - but that stuff will be in there for years. At least they do have good customer service - which takes some of the sting out.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sea star actually provides info on alternatives. All the alternatives are aviation grade oil and all are red in color to make finding leaks obvious. The downside is the oil could permanently stain gelcoat if it isn't cleaned-up quickly.

BCLII

Reaction score
I have two new qt. bottles. I would sell both for $28 + shipping!

georgemjr

Reaction score
automatic transmission fluid? I have used it in the past for both trim/tilt as well as steering. Haven't tried it on my 33, but have used it on older boats with sea star before.