Successfully replaced the fuel tank sending unit

mdscole

Reaction score
After looking a a gauge reading zero after a fill up, I took a look around here and found that the sending unit is a common point of failure with the original design. Sent a note to Grady asking them the proper length for the sending unit. for my application it was 11.5" long.

Ordered a new one from Wema. $72 after shipping.

Took the old one out, clipped off the connector and soldered it to the new sending unit. Added some heatshrink around the connection. Tested it connected with the float at various positions and the gauge readings were perfect. Dropped it in the tank with the included new gasket. Tightened up the 5 screws (not too much torque - they're only threaded into the tank skin - about 1/8" thick of aluminum)

All in all - about a 30 minute job.

1998 248 Voyager.

Mitch

Lucky dog

Reaction score
I did mine last year, I was cautious because I had read about possible screws freezing and breaking off. I used some PB blaster and bought a socket set to fit screws ( torx ) to get better and more even torque. It went very well and works like a charm.

grady23

Reaction score
I replaced both on my Grady with the WEMA units in 2003 and they still work GREAT.