Suck it up

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I have to get the fuel out of my small aux tank on my trophy pro. Its now on the side of the house so it should be easy. What is the best easiest way to get the old fuel out? Ive never done this before and want to learn the tricks.

Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You can use either a siphon or electric gas pump, if electric make sure it's for pumping gas, go to local auto barn and get something 12V and cheap.

The siphon will work fine since the boat tank is up so high, well over a portable tank placed on the ground.

Jack up bow as high as possible, that's the ticket. First pump until dry w/o jacking bow, then jack to see if more comes out. Keep jacking as more comes out

Some gas will remain in tank, I'd say about a quart or so.

If you want the quart, will have to pull the sender and rod it out.

Use gas in lawn mover, especially last few gallons of it. It may come out darker in color.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you boat has the electric gas primers, can use it instead.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I went to Autozone and found the cheapest 3/8" electric fuel pump.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I dont even know if the primers work after the repower in 06 since I never even used them. I will see if they fire up when I get home. I like the idea of the inline fuel pump since its safe and cheap.

Thanks Guys :wink:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the primer works, you have to disconnect the hose outlet from the motor, route it out the drian plug opening or the like at the stern to stay low and into a container on the ground. They pump at very low pressure and have bypass loops, so don't expect much speed nor pump head, if you set tthe hoses right, it may continue siphoning when you start then turn it off.

Otherwise, do a Grog pump.

seasick

Reaction score
Grog said:
If it doesn't say it is rated for fuel, don't use it for fuel. Many of those pumps are not explosion proof. If the pump you mention uses an electric drill, the drill is definitely not explosion proof. Note that the less fuel in a tank, the more explosive it is. Full tanks are much less prone to explosions than 'empty' ones ( which are never really empty).

catch22

Reaction score
seasick said:
Grog said:
If it doesn't say it is rated for fuel, don't use it for fuel. Many of those pumps are not explosion proof. If the pump you mention uses an electric drill, the drill is definitely not explosion proof. Note that the less fuel in a tank, the more explosive it is. Full tanks are much less prone to explosions than 'empty' ones ( which are never really empty).

Glad someone brought this up.

Too many issues messing with pumps and gasoline. Not to mention using plastic containers, since there's no way to ground everything and prevent static.

I'm not really comfortable going along with this, but... I think BobP gave the safest DIY method. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine and run it out your garboard drain. Once you've squeezed the primer bulb a few times, it should flow on it's own. You won't get 100% out, but after topping off with fresh, your filters should keep you covered. Speaking of which... if you don't have a Racor filter, give some serious consideration to adding one... it's worth it.

If you want the best and safest way to deal with it, take the boat to a shop and let a professional drain and clean the tank. Yea, you'll pay through the nose because of the "hazardous waste" issue, but you won't be risking your life or your home and property.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
Grog said:

Call me crazy but an electric fuel pump should be rated for gas. Chances are that the original electric primers are shot.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Catch, this is all DIYer advise, not for newbies.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Plastic tank is ok as long as placed on ground, before inserting hose touch side of container away from opening. Same goes for plastic funnels

Also, no polyester or nylon clothes or fleece, wear all cotton Don't be rubbing or scratching ones hair or anything else. No gloves.

Maintain contact with ground if the tank is there, or wherever tank is placed - maintain contact with same surface.

May want to keep a fire extinguisher around, of proper rating.

seasick

Reaction score
Grog said:
seasick said:
Grog said:

Call me crazy but an electric fuel pump should be rated for gas. Chances are that the original electric primers are shot.

Not crazy. Fuel pumps would be OK but most of the 12v pumps you see at the outlets and marine stores are not fuel pumps but rather liquid pumps.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Let me get this straight, a 12V fuel pump bought in an auto parts store is not fuel pump but liquid pump? I'm also interested to know as i have to empty what ever is left in my Wellcrafts tank. I was planing on connecting one to the 3/8 line going to the engine and empty the tank from there.

seasick

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Let me get this straight, a 12V fuel pump bought in an auto parts store is not fuel pump but liquid pump? I'm also interested to know as i have to empty what ever is left in my Wellcrafts tank. I was planing on connecting one to the 3/8 line going to the engine and empty the tank from there.

If it says it is suitable for combustible liquids, it is OK.
I have seen $40 pumps from Mr Gasket that would do the job.

midnight-rider

Reaction score
Just had my tanks drained and fuel tanks cleaned

65 gallons went bad and it cost me $546.00 to drain, clean and despose of the fuel. My Buttt I mean wallet still hurts. If you do it your self.Make sure the fuel cans are on the ground, turn off or even better remove your bayyeries first, NO SMOKING, have some one standing by for help and have a Fire Extinisher...not a small one.....and a garden hose doesn't count. Remember 1 cup of gas + 10 sticks of Dynimite if in the vapor form........good luck and becareful

BabyG

Reaction score
I did my 50 gal aux. this year, Go to auto store get a gas fuel pump and some 3/8 hose, hook up a non sparking on and off switch. Disconnect the hose before the fuel water filter and hook up the hose attach pump to your battery and start pumping, any dripping of fuel or strong smell of gas STOP cause you did something sloppy, check everything. You should have a place to dispose of the gas before hand check locale dump for the days they accept that stuff so it's not sitting around long.
My job was easer than I thought it would be and much safer than I thought it would be. No fumes at all and not a drop in the water. And we did it on a very busy canal.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
BabyG said:
I did my 50 gal aux. this year, Go to auto store get a gas fuel pump and some 3/8 hose, hook up a non sparking on and off switch. Disconnect the hose before the fuel water filter and hook up the hose attach pump to your battery and start pumping, any dripping of fuel or strong smell of gas STOP cause you did something sloppy, check everything. You should have a place to dispose of the gas before hand check locale dump for the days they accept that stuff so it's not sitting around long.
My job was easer than I thought it would be and much safer than I thought it would be. No fumes at all and not a drop in the water. And we did it on a very busy canal.

Thats kind of the way I was looking to go and sounds like a plan.

ahill

Reaction score
Somewhere in the '70's a Miami boater decided to transfer gas from shore to boat via a wet/dry vac. Neither is around to discuss the results!