Suggestions for Securing ahead of Irene

jrem

Reaction score
I will have a Gulfstream tied up at the marina on the south shore of Long Island where I am on a floating dock with with pilings.

Looking to hear any suggestions and thoughts on best ways to secure and what line setup might be a best bet.

Much thanks and let's hope for a push to the east!

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just put a call into my hauler. The weather channel is calling this the most severe devastating storm in decades. :bang

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a 28' kept at Surfside when Gloria hit (1987?) I had poles and backed up to a bulkhead. The guys at the marina stayed and kept pushing the boats off as the wind and surge tried to push them up onto land. The tide was extremely high and when I went down after the storm, I saw the following: A 40 something Post had gone up and come down on one of the poles and was holed. Most of the other boats in my configuration were fine..however..the poles on either side of my boat had fresh scrapings less than 6 inches from the top from where the rubrails had contacted them. That meant that the tide was about 6 feet above normal and the rubrails were almost above the poles. The boats on the floating docks behind us didnt fare as well. Either the tide or the wind just pushed all of the docks together and some of the boats actually popped up onto the docks because they had nowhere else to go . So I think that you do the best you can to secure things but in the end, Mother Nature is calling the shots. Lets hope it makes a hard turn to the east.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm hauling her out Friday. Could be a catagory 2 for southern NE.

If I had to leave her in, I'd ;
put out extra fenders dockside and opposite (in case my neighbors come loose)
redundant dock lines plus a few more for good measure
remove valuables
stow everything else in the cabin
be sure bilge pumps are working
take down all the curtains (sail effect)
PRAY! PRAY! PRAY!

Good luck! Hope all emerge unscathed!

JeffN

Reaction score
I'm going out to the yard tomorrow and have her hauled. This thing looks strong and even though the popular wisdom is putting the storm to my west I am just going to haul and be done with it.

If you are going to leave your boat in journeyman's advise is good. Extra everything and hope for the best. Previous to last year I had a rarely taken mine out for a storm, no trailer high cost etc. But last year I found my most recent ins. policy has an allownace for $1500 reinbersment for avoiding storm damage if you are in an area with a warning or watch for a named storm. So that for me is a no brainer. I just haul it and sleep better.

Fishballs15

Reaction score
Mine too is coming out tomorrow. Don't want to take any chances with the storm surge.

--Fish

jrem

Reaction score
Struggling with a decision here. Marina is suggesting leaving it in. They're hauling boats though.

If they hauled they'd only be putting it in parking lot next to the marina about 4ish feet up from high tide on blocks, not tied down.

I'll beat myself up either way.

If i'm in a slip with an outboard with a floating dock, should I back in? protect the motor from debris, but leave it far enough off the dock?

Thoughts?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In your slip, in the past, are you susceptible to waves hitting boat ?
If so, you may have to move it elsewhere in marina. Waves are destructive, period.
Floating dock is good as long as storm surge doesn't raise dock over pilings.

I suggest you remove your canvas, if it gets loose in the wind will be wipped into pieces. If you have a mooring cover put it on, if not, cover any electronics with plastic and tape it sealed.
Power off to everyting but pumps, lower antennas and take anything up in air down to lower windage.

Make sure batts are charged.

Double lines and use spring lines on both sides if you can.
Get rid of coolers or dock boxes not otherwise screwed down well, you will never see them again

And hope no other boat gets loose and plows into you, so if you have to add lines to other boats if owners don't care.

If you have windows that open use duck tape and tape across the glass so if they open don't wip and snap off, like the small vent windows can.

I'd also suggest you stay away from marina if it gets so bad you have to be well bent over just to walk, it is nerve wracking and nothing can be done at that point anyway. You can fall or slip, worse be blown off dock.
If you have spare fenders at home, just set them up between you and next boat or dock all around.
No point to keeping them home.

We will see if it veers off one way or the other tomorrow after passing Cape Hatteras.

CWOT

Reaction score
We are in the cone so we pulled the boat, the yards (3) have been busy pulling boats for 2 days now, even the waterman boats are on the hard. I would not stay in the water if in the cone of the possible path, better safe than having to fight with an insurance adjuster later.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
Get it out of the water. Even if the boat gets destroyed on land your insurance co will see that you took the proper positive actions to prevent damages and be obligated to pay to replace or repair. You will have taken the "prudent actions to mitigate damages".

jrem

Reaction score
I got her out of the water. Haven't been able to get down to the yard/marina, but the winds werent as bad as expected. Surge was appears to have been pretty bad.