Summer storage

Scouter

Reaction score
Having enjoyed using my 208 in FL all winter, I think I am going to leave it here rather than move it back to Maine this summer. My plan is to leave it on the lift, and I have bought a cover that will cover the whole boat. I am most worried about mildew in the cabin. I plan on removing all the cushions and seats. I also have a trailer and a storage spot, but it's not real secure, and I have great neighbors who will keep an eye on it every day. Any advice? Thanks

Jim

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If you have access to electricity, this could work. We have one (without the hose) and it works awesome! the cabin never gets moldy or musty. You'd have to rig your own drain hose to the bilge or to a through hull. If you have no electricity, lots of desiccant packs.

edv-2200-air-dehumidifier.jpg

7747965.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you leave it on the lift, do you have a plan in the event of a storm?

I'd put it on the trailer, find a secure lot somewhere, and put it there. Depending on where in FL you are, you may be able to find a secure indoor storage facility with climate control.

seasick

Reaction score
Scouter said:
Having enjoyed using my 208 in FL all winter, I think I am going to leave it here rather than move it back to Maine this summer. My plan is to leave it on the lift, and I have bought a cover that will cover the whole boat. I am most worried about mildew in the cabin. I plan on removing all the cushions and seats. I also have a trailer and a storage spot, but it's not real secure, and I have great neighbors who will keep an eye on it every day. Any advice? Thanks

Jim

A few things:
You may want to remove the prop. They have a habit of 'walking away', especially if nice shinny stainless.
A fan will help with moisture and mildew. There are solar powered fans that are cut into and glued or taped the cover.

The biggest concern is water in the bilge. The 208 is pretty good at shedding water due to the deck scuppers but in really heavy rains, water can get in through a few spots: The anchor locker cover, bad access plate o-rings (especially in the transom well) and the rear oil tank and battery lockers. Water can also enter through the transom well cup holders. If the drain plug is left in, it is prudent to make sure the bilge pumps works and that means that the battery has to be checked and or charged. Some folks disconnect the batteries for storage and place an ac powered bilge (or sump pump) in the bilge during storage. Although a good battery charger (smart one) will keep a battery charged, it should be monitored.
Now if the boat is covered it isn't easy to check pumps or water unless there is an access door in the cover or your neighbors can easily open the cover to check.
All that said, assuming the lift has very little change of lowering on its own, the best approach is to disconnect the batteries and remove the drain plug from the hull.

Remove anything that is close to edible, including artificial baits, crumbs, jerkey:) etc

On the 208 hull, there are ways for critters to get into the cabin even if closed and locked. If you look under the gunwails and under the helm, up top you will see open channels and animals can and will find them. There are four paths from the deck and helm to the cabin. I have metal mesh with the sharp edges and diamond hole pattern that is pressed into the openings. It keeps the critters out

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I would do everything Seasick spoke of and if you want to get and air purifier too I can recommend one that I have been using for about a decade. I'm 100% satisfied with how it works.
I have a hobby room in my basements with fish tanks. As such there is humidity and I use a Therapure air purifier with a UV bulb. It also has a permanent filter that can be cleaned.
They claimed it controls odors, mold, and mildew. It does all three and very well. In fact I went down to find mildew on some of the rooms surfaces and checking I found the UV bulb, after two years continuous use had burned out. Having replaced the bulb and cleaning up the mildew hasn't returned. I let it run on low 24/7. I also use one in my bedroom to filter pollen and dust helping greatly with my allergies.
https://jet.com/product/detail/83c8c4ec ... gQodw4sNHg
Incidentally Walmart sells them too.
Mike.