SunScreen Stains

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
had a bunch of kids on my boat yesterday and whatever they touched have turned orange/red all over the place. I dont know what kind of suncreeen theye were wearing but it is all over and I cant get it out of my gelocat. Does anyone know of a product to remove these stains?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I resorted to using Soft Scrub w ith bleach. Use it very lightly and you can avoid scratching the gelcoat. Then be prepared to put on some polish then wax.

My wife got some spray-on sunscreen for the kids. Never again!

ahill

Reaction score
Had the same problem after taking my grand kids out. Spots all over. Didn't have time to deal with it then. Went back to the dock a week later and all the spots were gone! Heavy rains did the work for me.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In my experience with sunscreen, especially the spray on kind, if you give it a few days of either rain or good sun exposure, it will "bleach" out of the gelcoat itself. I have found it kind of like the residue left when a seagull leaves something on the boat, and by the time you wash it, there is a residual mark. The sun always seems to return the clearcoat to its normal white, provided you have a decent coat of wax or other protectant on it.

Bren

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks all, thought it was gonne be perminent, but like you all said it started to bleach itself out..... then my neighbors beach bag had a can explode inside and it is all over again...... arg.... that stuff sucks.

all my fishing buds were gonna think I painted my cockpit pink.....

From now on I inspect all bags and ban that crap.

uncleboat

Reaction score
Same thing here....stay away from those sprays. In my case I started compounding the stains out, which worked, ran out of time, came back a few days later and all the stains were gone. I guess the sun and rain takes care of it in time. If it gets on your plastic curtains its another story, this stuff pitted the clear plastic.

bhemi

Reaction score
Stay away from the aerosol cans

This is a great spray on sunscreen with a pump not a propellent. I've been using it for ten years. Never leaves a mark. No alchohol or oil in it.

www.kinesys.com

timo14

Reaction score
Spray-on lotions are the worst thing ever invented. They stain, but more problematic is the fact that the overspray on the cockpit floor makes it as slippery as ice! I took a hard fall a few months ago from it. It is now banned from my boat. I carry plenty of regular lotion on the boat anyway.

Non-boating related... that stuff is super expensive and does not yield the same quantity of "lotion" as a regular bottle. I would guess that in the long run, the spray cost 5 times the amount regular lotion does.

I have a long family history of melanoma... i take my suntan lotions (and how much i pay for them) very seriously.

blueskyggs

Reaction score
This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing Thanks all, thought it was gonne be perminent, but like you all said it started to bleach itself out..... then my neighbors beach bag had a can explode inside and it is all over again

demande simulation pret personnel en ligne - Pret personnel en ligne et de comparer les meilleurs taux afin de... La demande de prêt personnelen lignedemande simulation pret personnel en ligne

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I decided I would rather get sun poisening then let anyone turn my cockpit pink again,

New rule on the Lady sandy: No Spray Suncreeen Allowed,

Cowboy up... or get off my Grady!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: