Surface Mounting Electronics?

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Help I have ordered a new Garmin 741 an looking to surface mount in the lower electronics box were the original hinged Plexiglas door is. What white material are you guys using to mount units in and how thick? Photos of completed projects?

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just got mine as well. I am going to mount it in the black acrylic door. It will remain hinged for interior access. I will move the latch to the side. I can post some pics when completed.
You have a notched transome as well. Where are you mounting the down scan transducer? Garmin tech said to mount on the lower part of the hull by the bilge plug but not after any hull obstructions like intakes.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
I have not thought about were to mount the transducer yet. Good advice, i will have to figure out also. Looking at putting a fuel flow transducer on the single Yamaha also.........

gradywhite248

Reaction score
1st grady said:
I just got mine as well. I am going to mount it in the black acrylic door. It will remain hinged for interior access. I will move the latch to the side. I can post some pics when completed.
You have a notched transome as well. Where are you mounting the down scan transducer? Garmin tech said to mount on the lower part of the hull by the bilge plug but not after any hull obstructions like intakes.
please post photos when your done and let me know where you place the transducer

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Starboard (that's a name brand - Taco metals is another manufcaturer of HDPE) is one of the 'go-to' materials for things like this. It's available in multiple colors. You can check it out on their websites. PVC board is another product that I was recently turned onto by a member here, Roberth. But, I like the idea of just resusing the existing door - why change something that works?

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just got the gt20 TM $99.
Need to make sure the transom mount will work.
I am going to mount on the lower hull by the garboard drain plug.
I think there would be too much turbulance (air bubbles) on the upper step.
Sure hope i don't need the thru hull x ducer for $700.
I also have a 4208 gps mounted port side at the helm. I just used the same location as the previous installation.
Took the IPAD out today to sinc itwith bluetooth., the crew will love being able to see and control the sonar from the cockpit on the phone.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
1st grady said:
I just got the gt20 TM $99.
Need to make sure the transom mount will work.
I am going to mount on the lower hull by the garboard drain plug.
I think there would be too much turbulance (air bubbles) on the upper step.
Sure hope i don't need the thru hull x ducer for $700.
I also have a 4208 gps mounted port side at the helm. I just used the same location as the previous installation.
Took the IPAD out today to sinc itwith bluetooth., the crew will love being able to see and control the sonar from the cockpit on the phone.

Great thanks for the help. One quick question. I believe the Garmin 741 will give me boat speed with the GPS but if I install the GT20 transducer where will the factory original Yamaha gauge get its speed information? Should I leave the already installed transducer on? It has a little wheel that I believe is for speed information. Ill post a photo of the transducer.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I very much doubt that whatever brand transducer Yamaha used will speak with the Garmin ducer, and vice versa. Best bet is to leave the original in place.

With a notched transom, is there room for the ducer to kick up in case it hits something?

There are other options for thru-hull ducers. I believe the plastic one is only about $150 and it's a very solid, nice unit.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grady248, i am very interested in seeing a pic of the xducer location.
Dennis, this unit requires a special CHIRP ducer.
$99, $199 for transom mounts and $700 for the thru hull

gradywhite248

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
I very much doubt that whatever brand transducer Yamaha used will speak with the Garmin ducer, and vice versa. Best bet is to leave the original in place.

With a notched transom, is there room for the ducer to kick up in case it hits something?

There are other options for thru-hull ducers. I believe the plastic one is only about $150 and it's a very solid, nice unit.

Plenty of room for kick up. see photos. I'm leaning on leaving the original...

Attachments

• get-attachment.jpg
    get-attachment.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 4,536

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How is the cable routed through the transom?
It looks like it is mounted on the lower part of the hull.
I was real concerned about not getting it to work on this hull.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good picture - thanks.

FYI, a CHIRP transducer isn't 'required'. If you want it, great, but don't let someone sell you on the fact that you 'have' to have it.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
1st grady said:
This is a downvu image i am hoping to achieve.

Damn!!!!!!!!!!! Since I have bought my Garmin 741 and not the transducer how do I get that view...... Please advise that is great

gradywhite248

Reaction score
1st grady said:
How is the cable routed through the transom?
It looks like it is mounted on the lower part of the hull.
I was real concerned about not getting it to work on this hull.

Here are some photos that might help. This sensor was installed before i bought the boat by a Grady dealer for the Furuno finder with temp and speed, Im still unsure where the Yamaha gauges get the speed info? Hope these help. I like the way they drilled a hole above the water line as you can see above the trim tab.

Attachments

• Sensor(1).jpg
    Sensor(1).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 4,138
  • Sensor(2).jpg
    Sensor(2).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 4,138