Surfixinc bunk glides

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
After burning through brand new carpeted bunks after 4 launches, did some research and came up with what I hope will resolve the issue.

20200617_162521.jpg

20200617_162835.jpg20200617_163114.jpg

After contacting Pacific Trailers, they suggested this improvement.
Said most customers don't want to spend more than the cost of carpeted bunks.

So I contacted Larry at Surfixinc and felt comfortable trying the new glides out.

20200617_163542.jpg

Installed them at the boat launch today over existing carpeting as suggested.

Pretty easy install have to say.

20200617_164101.jpg

Then comes the real test, loading the boat.
Was so much easier cranking it in after loading it on. Definitely need to keep the engine in gear while I hooked up the bow eye or it will slide off the trailer.
Will see in time if it helps.
Today I can say it was an easy loading.
And now i wont have to worry about replacing the bunk carpets again.
There is a couple inch gap between the guide and bow eye. This is how Pacific Trailer loaded it for me when I picked it up.
Trying to crank it in pulls the bow down but not in. Fight that one when I get around to making the winch and bracket to my liking.20200617_170209.jpg

Met another boat owner that used these glides as I was loading, he liked them on his Pacific Trailer as well.
Interesting side note, his winch is setup exactly same as mine. WTF on that one :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Meanwhile

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've been a proponent of plastic slides for about 15 years, now. Love 'em! Never seen that brand before - but the basic idea is all the same from one to another. The only thing I would caution you on is that because they screw in from the top, as opposed to the sides like some others, you'll want to readily check the screws. There's a possibility they can back out over time and gouge the hull.

I can barely see your winch - but it looks like you can just re-wrap the strap so it comes out over the top and therefore a straighter pull?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've been a proponent of plastic slides for about 15 years, now. Love 'em! Never seen that brand before - but the basic idea is all the same from one to another. The only thing I would caution you on is that because they screw in from the top, as opposed to the sides like some others, you'll want to readily check the screws. There's a possibility they can back out over time and gouge the hull.

I can barely see your winch - but it looks like you can just re-wrap the strap so it comes out over the top and therefore a straighter pull?
Then you are a visionary, but we already knew :D

The whole winch stand is FUBAR. Upside down and left hand retrieve going counter clockwise to retrieve. Hard to get any torque to pull in before the new glides.

Same setup as luckydude got. It's ass backwards IMHO.

I'll deal with it soon, but right now I need to take a break. I really like the one you posted for luckydude, that rocks!

Sounds like the setup for a new thread??

Thanks Dennis!

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have been using these for the last 15 years as well. Had them in my last 3 boat trailers, I wouldn't use anything else. I used roller trailers before that, bunk trailers are much better for travelling on the road.
The slides let you launch and retrieve as easy as rollers, you are correct you have to leave the motor in gear otherwise she will roll back.
Dennis the screw heads are recessed quite a bit, it will be years before the slide wears out, I never had one go anywhere close .
Lee I didn't leave the carpet on my trailers because it holds the saltwater. I have aluminum bunks in this trailer so I used rivets to fix the slides , my target bunks are timber and I used S/S screws on them.
Once you use these you will never go back to carpet.. and they are cheap enough .

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Then you are a visionary, but we already knew :D

The whole winch stand is FUBAR. Upside down and left hand retrieve going counter clockwise to retrieve. Hard to get any torque to pull in before the new glides.

Same setup as luckydude got. It's ass backwards IMHO.
Ah, I gotcha... I mean, I "see"... :) Yeah, the only thing I could make out was part of the winch and the strap.

FYI... I added another winch stand pic from a different boat on our lot to that other thread... both are ShoreLand'r trailers. If you have a Shoreland'r dealer near you, they can get it.

Hoon... it's not so much about it wearing out. It's about the hole in the wood starting to loosen up a bit as it ages (there's now a hole in the wood where water can enter and start to soften the wood) and the screw backing out. I've seen this a couple times over the years, unfortunately. It's not a huge concern - just something to be aware of and check when parking the trailer. Or, thru-bolts/nylocs.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Hoon... it's not so much about it wearing out. It's about the hole in the wood starting to loosen up a bit as it ages (there's now a hole in the wood where water can enter and start to soften the wood) and the screw backing out. I've seen this a couple times over the years, unfortunately. It's not a huge concern - just something to be aware of and check when parking the trailer. Or, thru-bolts/nylocs.
I see what you meant now, I didn't have the problem with my previous trailer but I didn't leave the carpet there so the screws go in the wood more. Same with my current trailer on the target bunks .
Thanks for the advice I will keep an eye on them and if they come loose I will replace with bolts and nuts . Only takes a few minutes to check how tight they are with a screwdriver after launching or before retrieving.

teaklejr

Reaction score
They are a little expensive but well worth it, had carpet on my bunks and our F26 Tigercat was a huge pain to get on and off if tide was low at some ramps it was almost impossible to get boat to slide off. put the Surfix on and what a difference. I can actually use the winch by hand to get her to move, will slide off even at low tide just using engines. Could not be happier with them.

One time at the boat ramp with the carpet I was backing up and jamming brakes to try and get her to slid off over and over and some dude said you still have the hold down straps on I did not but it seemed like I did. Not anymore with the Surfix slides.