Survey and sea trial

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
So I've got my survey & sea trial scheduled for early April. It is a 2000 248 Voyager with a 2000 Yamaha 250hp OX66.

A few questions: a) Do I hang around and watch the surveyor go through the exercise or do I walk to the nearby Deli for coffee and? b) What's the acceptable moisture reading for the transom? c) Do I get to drive on the sea trial or do I just leave it all to the surveyor? d) The boat has an auxiliary gas tank, do they try and run off both tanks or just the main? TIA for your assistance...

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Depends on you. If you are the sort whose tool kit consists of a phone and checkbook, enjoy your coffee. If you want the full benefit of the survey, get in guys back pocket and observe everything. Even just getting a full tour of all the boats systems, is worth a lot of the survey cost, especially as the boat gets larger.

Drive the boat, make sure you use and try everything, including swapping tanks.

seasick

Reaction score
It is acceptable to watch and ask questions. You can learn a lot. In addition you should ask a few questions without being a pain:) For example, " Have you surveyed many of these 248s? Are there specific things to look for?
If the surveyor mentions an issue, ask if it needs to be taken care of now or can wait and what do the surveyor think the repair will cost. For example, old hoses will need replacement eventually. Leaking hoses need repair now.

If you are experienced driving similar boats, you can ask the seller if you can test drive. If you are new to boating, maybe you shouldn't drie but if so do it in open deepish water areas.. The seller may also be on the boat during the sea trial. If so, I prefer to have the seller operate the boat until in open water. Then you can take over. Same for returning. The surveyor should also drive the vessel. The surveyor is looking for handling or operational issues, you are checking out the general look and feel. Maybe you can't see over the helm. Maybe the boat rolls more than you would like. Maybe is has a wet ride.

The absolute moisture readings are not as important as the relative readings on adjacent areas and the more the merrier Make sure the surveyor AND you note when the hull was last wet or if it was hauled very recently. Make a note in addition to the make and model of the surveyor's meter. If the surveyor detects excessive moisture, ask if he or she can take inside the hull measurements to confirm extent of moisture ( these readings can be tricky)
In addition to the hull and transom, the survey should generally test the deck, lockers lids, helm bulkhead maybe etc. If no readings are excessive, I would think his meter was broken:)
If it is raining, you can't do moisture tests.

Ask the seller if he or she normally uses the aux tank and replenishes its gas. If not, don't try to run on it.It may have gunk or bad gas. Ask the surveyor for his opinion.

Not also that surveyors often don't do motor surveys. If you want one, you probably will need to hire a mechanic to do it. That motor on the plus side is pretty reliable historically but is relatively old on the negative side. Get the surveyor's opinion on general performance. Before starting it, ask if it has been started that day before the survey ( or feel it for warmth). Pre warmed motors will often not show idling issues it has when cold started. SX motor often have rough idling issues when cold. During the sea trial, do at least a short run to WOT. Note the revs and speed ( using GPS, not the speedo).
Note the models of any navigation equipment and/or sonar.
Test every switch, light, horn, gauge. If there is a windlass, test that also.

My general guidelines for older boats is this;
If the boat is dirty, moldy and worn, there is a decent chance the owner neglected the motor and mechanicals also. On the other extreme, if the boats look too clean, new waxed, etc, it may have been detailed and that always raises an alarm for me.
Don't let you desire to have the boat blur your senses. Be thorough in your appraisal. Remember that little things like old cushions, old or missing canvas, hull damage etc. can cost a lot to repair. Take all that into consideration when deciding.
I probably forgot many things but for now I think you get the idea.

I hope it goes well, good luck.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have always worked alongside the surveyor and asked questions. You are paying for it and you have the opportunity to learn a lot. On the smaller outboard boats there are not a lot of systems to check. Start with a GW Owners manual from GW site. Print it out and familiarize yourself with the boat and where everything is.

Big item is the transom and the hull.

Surveyor probably won't get into the motor. Run the boat. Make sure steering is tight and no seal leaks. Trim tabs work. Pull the cover to see how it was maintained.

Plug the boat in and check the batteries and charger. Get dates and sizes off batteries.

Running lights.

Electronic working unless you are replacing. Antenna. Plotter. Sounder. VHF.

Make sure the water systems work. Washdown pump and bait well. Fresh water system. Ideally find every pump so you know where they are.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I always like to work with the surveyor, when possible, especially to try and ensure that they're actually doing their job, asking the right questions and going through the motions, etc. Anytime that I have someone working on one of my cars, boats or whatever... I always try to watch over what they're doing to make sure they're doing a good job and don't forget to do anything, as two sets of eyes are better than one. This also helps to ensure that if you have any questions that are brought up, that you can ask those at the time and helps the surveyor to give you all of the information they have without forgetting anything. Most surveyors that are accredited are pretty competent, but it doesn't hurt to hang around and make sure. That way if you see any glaringly obvious issues just while looking over the boat, you can determine if you want to even proceed with the sea trial run or not. And yes, I always ask to drive since it's my boat, or in this case your boat, that I'm looking at potentially buying. Same with buying a used car, you wouldn't have the dealer or seller drive the car for you... slightly different with a boat but still the same concept. I'm not sure about the moisture readings but the surveyor should know the answer to that question, as well as the auxiliary fuel tank. Good luck with the sea trial and survey!

Reactions: PT G

Fishtales

Reaction score
So I've got my survey & sea trial scheduled for early April. It is a 2000 248 Voyager with a 2000 Yamaha 250hp OX66.

A few questions: a) Do I hang around and watch the surveyor go through the exercise or do I walk to the nearby Deli for coffee and? b) What's the acceptable moisture reading for the transom? c) Do I get to drive on the sea trial or do I just leave it all to the surveyor? d) The boat has an auxiliary gas tank, do they try and run off both tanks or just the main? TIA for your assistance...
Yes. Hang with the surveyor. Let him do his job but ok to ask questions, just not too many that consumes excessive time.
Depends on the equipment used. I'd ask this to the surveyor after he takes his readings.
I would let the surveyor drive and do his job.
They should run off both if there is fuel in both. This verifies the valves work and the fuel is minimally acceptable to run the engines.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My experience with boat surveyors both buying and selling is as such. If your available then by all means be present for the surveyor, it will help you learn the systems of the boat, and better understand problems if they arise. Typically the seller (if private sale) is present for the survey and will help guide the surveyor through the systems, compartments etc. The owner will then operate the boat for the surveyor for the in water portion of the survey. The surveyor will then insturct the owner to take the engines through a variety of rpms including WOT, and use any electronics (i.e. Ap and radar) to confirm they are working. If it is a combination survey sea trial then by all means drive the boat. If the boat has 2 fuel tanks, then run off of both tanks unless there is a known problem with one of the tanks. Afterwards the surveyor will type up his report and send it to you. Keep in mind this is a 22 year old boat, things are going to come up such as moisture. It is then going to be up to you if you can live with these problems and or negotiate a fix/solution with the seller.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with the others. You're paying for the survey on your possible future boat. Be involved, but at the same time, let him do his job. Go with him on the seatrial,,, you may not like the ride and after purchasing, is too late to find out. Hopefully this is a surveyor you chose and not one recommended by seller or broker/dealership. They've been known to work with each other to sell a boat to a unsuspecting sucker,,, sorry, customer. Get familiar with what you're possibly purchasing from owners manual and any videos you can find.

Sloose

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Absolutely stay with the surveyor at all times. You will learn a lot as he goes through it. Acceptable moisture is subjective - the glass should be solid when he hits it with a hammer and have no dull thuds. He will tell you if the transom is shot or not. The aux tank vs main tank: ask the surveyor.

remember: the surveyor works for YOU to protect YOU and your investment. His job is to nitpick and find all the issues so you know going into the sale what the issues are,, what works, what doesnt work, also what the vessel is worth fair market value.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have always been right with the surveyor. I learned more about the boat and its mechanical / tech systems than I could have hoped for i a few hours. Great opportunity to learn about parts of the boat you never knew existed. Any surveyor I have used encouraged me to be participant during the survey.

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It’s your money so if the surveyor gives you an issue if you want to shadow him then send him packing. After all the things my surveyor missed on my first Grady I was all over the surveyor on my second one and he was super cool with it. Showed me things I would not have looked for and looked at everything my last guy missed. Your paying for it so you have every right to be there. Good luck

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
You've got great replies here, I don't have much to add other than this. When I'm dealing with a professional and I want to hang, I make sure to be respectful and let them know I'm not trying to do their job, I'm trying to learn. It seems really obvious but most people don't like people looking over their shoulder but those same people switch on when you ask them to teach you.

I would think that if someone handles it well, they could learn a bunch from a surveyor.

Oh, another thought. Take your phone or a video camera (anyone still have one of those) and tape the entire thing. All sorts of stuff that seems minor becomes major as it becomes your problem. Can't stress this enough, tape it all. If you can get the current owner to go through stuff with you after the deal is done, that is gold. He/She knows the boat, knows what works, knows what needs to be looked at. If you get that, tape it.

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
As "luckydude" just said I have gotten a treasure trove of help and advice through these replies. A huge thank you to all who have chosen and those who reply after this posts. I am 76 and downsizing but I firmly believe if I am not learning I am not growing. The boat is being sold by Riteway Marine Solutions in Babylon, NY (on Long Island) and the surveyor will be Jim Dias of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Guilford, CT. After 18 years of going north or south on the Hudson River we are quite excited about the prospect of trailering and broadening our horizons. Thank you all...

Attachments

• 20220322_134816.jpg
    20220322_134816.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 20220322_133941.jpg
    20220322_133941.jpg
    972.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220322_132505.jpg
    20220322_132505.jpg
    926.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220322_132428.jpg
    20220322_132428.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Today was my day of reckoning and while I won't say it came through with flying colors, it came through to the extent the surveyor said " buy it!" The suggestions given here served as a guide and gave me a frame of mind with which to approach this task. He gave me lots of tips on what needed additional cleaning, what needed attention through this summer and what may be out on the horizon.

For anyone in the market for a used boat, Grady-White or otherwise you will not go wrong with Riteway Marine Solutions and Rory Hogan. It almost feels like my son is selling me a boat. A new Garmin GPS, new spreader lights and a rewired VHF are just a sampling of how the boat was presented for survey.

Pickup will be next week and I will be dragging it home on a brand new Venture aluminum bunk trailer!

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I thought I had attached some new pictures ...1 more try:

Attachments

• 20220408_134122.jpg
    20220408_134122.jpg
    906.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220408_133452.jpg
    20220408_133452.jpg