Survey for 2003 330 Express

Pillguy

Reaction score
I have a century 3200WA, similar hull design solid glass below water line, balsa core above. Survey found water intrusion around cockpit drains that drain to hull above water line.
I just ordered new balsa, resin and fabric and had at it. It was a bit difficult to access as I was kneeling and working. Key is to cut a template out, cut out your fabric at home, number it and then glass like mad. I glassed a bit thick and had to grind a bit back for my through hulls.
20220523_174508.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thank you for your perspective and reply. So in your opinion, a wet transom -- possibly due to water intrusion at the engine mounts -- is not a key issue with Greenwood Plywood? And if Greenwood Plywood is strong and resistant to rot, why are some readers so devastated when moisture is found near the vent openings in the aft sections of the boat?
It is more resistant to rot than marine plywood or just any old multi edge grained plywood that is often used. The problem is delamination. The transom is as weak as the rotten one when this happens. So yes, it solves one problem but there is another.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello all, I put a deposit on a 2003 330 Express with 2008 250 HP Yamahas (1750 hrs) and am scheduling a mechanical inspection by local Yamaha dealer and a separate survey of the hull. The surveyor has prepared me for bad news based on previous experience, including wet transom, water damage around stress cracks, and corrosion of the exhaust ports on the Yamahas. The surveyor is not bullish on the GW manufacturing process.

A local mariner told me the previous owner -- for 7 years -- performed no preventive maintenance on the engines and said the starboard engine has transmission (lower unit) issues. The local mariner said the boat is slow and reportedly cruises at 22 knots.

The engines are one issue that hopefully can be repaired, but I'm concerned more with a compromised hull based on previous comments in related posts. Naturally, I'm concerned with the warnings from surveyor and flags from neighboring slip holder, but the issues appear to be consistent with many GW owners based on the many posts on this site.

Please let me know what a 330 Express with 250 Yamahas should cruise at, also WOT speed, and whether or not a 330 is a good choice of boat, notwithstanding owner negligence. All feedback and opinions are appreciated.

Thank you, Dennis
My 2006 330 fully loaded cruises at 24-26 knots at 4800 RPM burning about 1.1 gal/per mile. I have 2006 F250s with 1,500 hours. Just performed the midsection replacement in my port motor and had to have a little section of block (between exhaust port and water jacket) TIG welded. She’s back together and running fine.

Friend of mine with exact same boat just upgraded to new 300s and is now getting same speed at 4000 RPMs burning 23.9 GPH. He replaced the aluminum cap when exchanging motors and his transom was dry … no issues.