Survey Shows Elevated Moisture in 2002 Islander Transom

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I received a pre-purchase survey report that included the following information on the transom:

"Transom moisture readings were relatively high (25% - 30%) across the entire encased transom. Some moisture is not unusual for vessels of the age. Normal wood moisture is approximately 10 - 15%. Transom sounded with percussion hammer and no delamination was found."

The surveyor said that he did not see this as a reason not to by the boat. I am very concerned about purchasing this boat given the moisture readings and what I have heard about Grady transom issues. I'd appreciate some informed opinions.

The remainder of the survey was positive.

Thank you.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd expect some moisture given age, but I am no expert on what is reasonable.
Would be interesting to see a set of moisture readings over a series of years for a boat. Or someone just walk a yard and check a bunch of boats. Would be interesting to see how many pick up moisture and to what degree over the years.

In the end, you could find a boat that has low moisture readings and it could be a headache in other areas.

If you like the boat, negotiate the concern but be ready to walk if you don't get the deal you want. If you have to do the transom later, you either learn or pay. If not, you got a winner.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Fishtales said:
I'd expect some moisture given age, but I am no expert on what is reasonable.
Would be interesting to see a set of moisture readings over a series of years for a boat. Or someone just walk a yard and check a bunch of boats. Would be interesting to see how many pick up moisture and to what degree over the years.

In the end, you could find a boat that has low moisture readings and it could be a headache in other areas.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd love to see readings for several manufacturers for boats over a wide age range. That data would be very helpful in decision making.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have question and observation. Grady switched in 2000 to Evergreen. It has either a 50 year no rot warranty or guarantee. Let's assume this boat has evergreen and let's assume their product is a good product. Does their guarantee and or warranty follow the boat or only original owner? If the Evergreen is failing will they stand behind it?

Another thing is the boat in good shape and clean otherwise? Did the surveyor tap the stern and is their any sign of water intrusion source or points? Does the Islander have that metal strip trimming out the joint where the outboard motor is mounted?

The boat may be perfectly fine and the Evergreen may be moist but absolutely sound.

seasick

Reaction score
Some moisture is common but usually the readings are higher in the surrounding areas where the water is intruding like around screw holes, engine bolts, drain fittings, thru hulls, transom caps etc. I am not sure what it means when the levels are high across the entire transom. The transom cap might be suspect since water could wick down the whole assembly.
Had delamination been detected, that would have been a bad sign but not finding any doesn't mean that all is OK.
How long was the hull out of the water when the survey was done and had it rained recently? I am wondering if water is leaking in and finding its way down the inner surface of the transom skin.
If the boat is out of the water and has been for a while, a second moisture scan might shed light on the condition.

If the boat is in otherwise good shape and priced appropriately, as the surveyor said, the moisture does not necessarily kill the deal and can be used as a bargaining chip. If you buy it, you will have to monitor the situation as well as check all penetrations and caps for leakage.
Good luck

Peahead

Reaction score
Toothpick 10 said:
I received a pre-purchase survey report that included the following information on the transom:

"Transom moisture readings were relatively high (25% - 30%) across the entire encased transom. Some moisture is not unusual for vessels of the age. Normal wood moisture is approximately 10 - 15%. Transom sounded with percussion hammer and no delamination was found."

The surveyor said that he did not see this as a reason not to by the boat. I am very concerned about purchasing this boat given the moisture readings and what I have heard about Grady transom issues. I'd appreciate some informed opinions.

The remainder of the survey was positive.

Thank you.

From what I have read and what surveyors have told me is moisture readings can be tough as far as providing a clear answer. They can vary alot depending on how long a hull has been in or out of the water and still be acceptable ( no issue). If a hull is out of water for only a short time and the area is high humidity or cold and wet ( winter in Vancouver everything is wet -- dry just doesn't exist) a moisture meter wouldn't tell you much ( transom will read on high side ). If hull has been out of the water drying out a few months in a low humidity climate or a trailered hull that doesn't sit at moorage then high readings would concern me.

I have included a link to a article written by David Pascoe who is a Surveyor. I find his writings quite informative.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/moisture_meters.htm

seasick

Reaction score
Interesting article. Thanks for the link.
I am aware that the skill of the surveyor in interpreting readings is more important than the actual readings themselves. I have had boats surveyed right after hauling with just a wipe down of a towel as well as surveys on boats that sat for a year or more on dry land. In both instances, some areas were 'wetter' than others in the transom area by several popints
In the case noted in this thread, the thing I don't get is why readings would be consistent across a broad area. I am not sure if the surveyor did a sweep across the area or just a few spot checks, nor do I know if the hull was wet or salty for that matter ( that was new to me by the way).
Bottom line:
I don't know what is going on and if it were me looking at a boat, I would rely on my surveyor's opinion ( I have known my surveyor for more a decade years and trust his opinion).

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thank you for the excellent information everyone. I have decided to sea trial the boat next week.

gatordmd

Reaction score
My surveyor told me that there was some moisture in the transom of my 2014 canyon. He recommended resealing the rub rail. He told me this is a common problem with gradys.