Surveyor for new Grady 360 express

la familia

Reaction score
I was recommended to use a surveyor when taking delivery of a new Grady 360. I was looking for any experiences from Grady owners regarding this.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I don't know about your familiarity with boats and/or Grady Whites, but I have found that surveyors are not always that knowledgable. If you live close to the dealer, than I would think that a surveyor would be less necessary, because Grady will back the boat 100% and anything that may turn out to be amiss can easily be rectified. If travel to a dealer is less than convenient and you want to make sure that all is 100% than I would recommend doing some research on surveyors and making sure they are intimitely familiar with Grady's and your model. You should be able to check the basics to ensure proper operation and I am sure the boat will come with a "shakedown" ride where they will go over every system with you. I doubt you would need a compression check or hour reading for new motors and I couldn't imagine ther would be anything wrong with a new hull (like water intrusion), so I do not know what the surveyor would be doing to earn his money...

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
......... unless is a DEMO boat sold as new with new boat warranty. 90% of the time demo boats/motors are not broken in the way supposed to be, then, you might need a surveyor for that purpose and also if the boat is bottom painted he/you should check if there is an epoxy barrier coat before the antifouling paint.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Some new boats sales especially custom rigged are contingent on a successful sea trial.

But as I think about it, not a bad idea on the Grady too, at least someone who is qualified to determine handling of boat and motor performance, bow thruster, instrumentation, etc.
Although I'm also sure Grady wilk make right, if not then. But who would know if something is amiss if not so qualified.

Christos

Reaction score
I as well have a new 360 on the way... It never even crossed my mind to get a surveyer. Ordering a boat from a company as reputable as Grady White, I would say you are in good hands. When you are delivered a new boat it should be "flawless"... Believe me, if anything is wrong Grady will "make it right". I myself am part owner of a private comany and the last thing we want is an unsatisfied "new" customer, especially purchasing a major item such as a new boat. I say no worries!

The Black Pearl II

Reaction score
that is an interesting point. I have a 360 and other then crawling all over it before i took delivery, never considered a surveyor. I am in the home building business, and new homes is what we do, and almost every closing we get a home inspection. most of the time they re-assure my customers that we did a good job. I think you should use the boat, and at 20hr service have it surveyed and take it back for service. by then you are going to know what is needs fixing anyway. did you get the new 300's?

townvet

Reaction score
I am also waiting for my 360 express. It never crossed my mind to get a surveyor. Now it has.

Can anyone explain the barrier coat prior to the bottom paint? I just assume my dealer is doing what needed to be done to get the boat 100% ready to go? Am I naive?

I ordered mine with the triple 300's....any concerns with these that I don't know of?

My boat arrives in Jan, if I need to prepare anything else the sooner I know the better.

Thanks

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Townvet, the "proper" way to bottom paint a boat is, first, the area to be painted has to be lightly sanded, cleaned with denatured alcohol, then two coats of epoxy barrier (the only thing that is waterproof is epoxy, the gel coat is not), then two coats of bottom paint of your choice. I prefer the bottom paint to be first coat one color, second coat different color(blue and black for example). The first coat would be the indicator as to how much and how long it takes for your bottom paint to wear off. So, lets say if you have black over blue and in the middle of the season you see a spot of blue bottom paint instead of all black, you have to touch up that area.

P.S, not all the dealers go thru all that, especially when the "throw in" the bottom paint job. Insist to be done that way even if it costs a bit more, no worries for blisters.

townvet

Reaction score
NEM,,
Thanks for the advice.

I spoke with my dealer today and they assure me that "Boat Pox" is only a problem on fresh water. They have never done epoxy under the bottom paint on coastal boats and do not recommend I do it either. Just a difference of opinion I guess. I like your description of how it should be done...but will probably go with the dealer on this one.

As to the survey question, of course they have all the warranty and dealer reputation behind the new boat. If anything is not 100% they guarantee to make it right. I have to trust this is true. Now I just have to wait out the long NE winter until I can get her in the water.

ahill

Reaction score
I think employing a surveyor to inspect a new production outboard boat is generally a waste of time, money and angst.
However, I have known people that have bought new production boats to find all kinds of little issues. I don't know if a surveyor would pick up on a loose hose clamp on an obscure scupper drain hose.
Further what can a surveyor tell you about a properly broken in motor vs. not?
Used boat, inboard, large get a surveyor but vet him first.
I've been a homebuilder since 1970 and I don't understand why a buyer brings in a "Home Inspector" not liscensed and generally not knowledgable to inspect a home that just got a CO and the buyer has inspected.
These guys only create doubt in the buyers mind to earn their fee. Once in awhile a PE will show up and that's fine.
I would imagine the same with boat surveyors.
Caveat Emptor!

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree 100% with above comments. Paying for a survey is a waste of money for a new GW. Expect some minor flaws to show up in the first few months and expect superb resolution getting these addressed. GW is famous for customer service on boats well out of warranty as if they just left the factory. When you pay the price for a GW, you get much more than a boat.

You get a complete boat ownership experience!

The REAL question is how all these folks are swinging brand new 360s! :huh

leek

Reaction score
I just went through this on two boats, mine and the one that I am buying. In addition to the GW I have been running a 38 convertible that was built by a local boat builder 10 years ago. The surveyor was a 67 year old man that has been in the business for almost 50 years both on build side and last 30 as surveyor. He is exceptional. For about $1200 he spent 8 hours on my boat and came up with a list of things that were mostly small but several items that were just wrong from the get go such as the gen set sharing a fuel feed with the mains. I did not know enough to identify this.
He had just spent 2 days on a 130 Westport right out of the factory. He found 190 items to correct.
If you are going to spend the kind of money that you are on this purchase I would think it prudent to have an expert look at it. I am a commercial building contractor and we try to do things right but I am not an expert in boat best practices.
The boat I am buying is an older Fleming 55 and he found quite a few things on that boat as well, some that have been there since the boat was built

DB

Reaction score
Do you have money to burn? Total waste of money...IT'S A NEW BOAT...if there is anything wrong after you just spent $500,000 your dealer and/or Grady WILL MAKE IT RIGHT...Is this your first new boat? :-|

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
if you are new to boating it's probably a good idea (or at least have an old salt with you when you take delivery). the important thing is to get any of the items that really should be taken care of before delivery out of the way. i had a couple things on both mine that had to be fixed before splashing, but i did the check-out myself. everything else was taken care of in the water and as i came across them.

as noted above, GW stands behind the product and won't leave you hanging. but if you are unsure of your ability to spot things on delivery, a survey will give you some help. just make sure you get someone that knows their stuff. good luck with the boat, ron