Surveyor

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a newer 228 Grady, love mine but she is getting on and she doesn't have hardtop. I'm negotiating on a 2013 with 250 4 stroke Yamaha, the boat is located in Saint James City, Florida and I'm in Australia. I want to engage a surveyor to inspect it and give me a report . I was told the 250 Yamaha is 4.2 lt, any of you familiar with Yamahas can tell me when the 3.4 lt 250 was replaced with 4.2Lt ? I'm a mercury guy and I will re-power this with a 300 Merc V8 in the next year or so.
I would appreciate if anyone could recommend someone around the area.
Do any of you know what they charge?

Thanks in advance .

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I replace my F225 3.4 L engines with twin F250s 4.2L engines last year. First let me say the F225s were amazing engine that ran without any service issues aside from routine scheduled maintenance.for 14 years and 900 hours.
They did have a flaw with internal exhaust corrosion. I had mine monitored every years but in the corrosion showed and ended up ruining my power heads so I opted to repower. After 2 years the 4.L have been great.
They seem to have a lot more mid range power and slightly better top end speed. The electronic shifting is a nice plus. Good luck with your negotiating.

Reactions: Tom wise

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is the business card of the guy that surveyed my previous boat before it was shipped to Perth. The boat you are looking at is on Pine Island only about 40 miles south of me. Brent, the surveyor, lives very near Pine Island so travel time will be small. I just talked to Brent and he is on the way to a wedding out of state but will be back Monday. He said to tell you he will be flying so may not be able to catch the call so leave him a message. If you are in more of a hurry than that, I know one other fellow in that area.

FA7EkAWl.jpg

Attachments

• 20181212_133343.jpg
    20181212_133343.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Tom wise

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Thanks for the input legend, the 250 on the boat i'm buying only has 210 hours but I fish a long way off shore and I like to have new engines on my boats so I will re-power in about 2 years by then the 250 Yam will be 7-8 years old , I don't want to keep it any longer regardless of condition.

Halfhitch,
Thanks for the recommendation, I will call Brent on Monday .

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Halfhitch,

Brent surveyed the boat for me and gave me a comprehensive report, very happy with his service and reasonably priced .
I will be buying this boat, she will be in Australia early March 2019.
Thanks again for recommending Brent .

Attachments

• Grady White on trailer.jpg
    Grady White on trailer.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 8