Suzuki 250s on an older marlin?

Gary M

Reaction score
The old 2001 Marlin and her engines are pretty tired.

If I went new........................

Suzuki 250s ?

Yammie F-250s ?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My two cents worth... Both make good engines. Which dealer is going to stand with you the best should you have a major problem? That would be the deciding factor for me.

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Suzuki DF250AP on my '97 Seafarer 228 and I love it. I highly recommend Mike at Outboard Specialties in Pompano Beach. Tell him Jeff from GreatGrady sent you. https://www.fixboat.com/

hinmo

Reaction score
put 2018 DF250s on my 99 Marlin late last year....very happy so far...questions?

Blempa47

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
... cant go wrong with either brand ... I swapped out my OX66's last year on my '97 marlin.. originally wanted the yammie 250's... but there were no engines available for repowers... it was a 6 month wait if you could source them... so i talked to a lot of people and started to look seriously at the zukes...the suzuki 250's are virtually the same engine as the 300's with different computer.... they weigh exactly the same.... i went with the 300's... fly by wire... it was still was less expensive than the 250 mechanical yammies... and that included the install... the new electronic control and new steering pieces (the rams from the OX's dont fit the zukes)...

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I put a set of used F225's on my 98 Marlin, and sold the OX66's. It was a pretty reasonably priced repower and I absolutely love the set up. I was able to do it all myself, with the help of a friend with a fork truck.
They bolt right up onto the same holes, but you need to update the steering cylinders.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just bought a 330 with 2016 Suzuki DF250’s. These are my third Suzuki purchase. We switched to them in 2013 and have never looked back. About All the Sea Tow boats now are Suzuki. The have a timing chain vs a timing belt in theMercs and Yamahas. They have 2 reduction gears, one top, one bottom so you can swing a bigger prop for better hole shots. They also sit the power head 4” farther forward then anyone else which is great if you are replacing older 2 strokes which are lighter. I ran my boat home from Naples FL 800 miles and ran 31mph at 1.25 mpg which if phenomenal . That was with 17” props which were way too much prop. She only turned 5200 rpm. I just had 15”’s delivered today.

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just repowered my ‘05 Marlin with Suzuki 300s. Great engines and I made my decision based on what’s already posted above. Working on getting them dialed in a bit more, but happier going with the Zuke’s over Yamaha or Merc.

They also tie into Simrad/Navico products really well.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just repowered my ‘05 Marlin with Suzuki 300s. Great engines and I made my decision based on what’s already posted above. Working on getting them dialed in a bit more, but happier going with the Zuke’s over Yamaha or Merc.

They also tie into Simrad/Navico products really well.
Yeah,the back bone system that Suzuki uses is the best in the industry. I rigged a new DF 90 on my old 18 Sea Pro last year. It’s crazy easy. You just keep stacking the plugs together behind the dash for each accessory and cap off the last open plug and your done. I just re rigged a 200 Yamaha on my son’s boat with Command Link gauges. Wow, was that complicated. We still don’t have the trim indicator reading yet.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m with the other guys on here. All the new outboards are great. Other then the 350. Yamaha builds a great motor. If you don’t mind buying expensive 2 stroke oil. Evinrude has some incredible engines. Best power curve and hole shot anywhere.
It’s all about what you want and what you can get a decent price on and local service.

Reactions: Zebulon