SUZUKI or YAMAHA

• zuk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yammie

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

miike

Reaction score
trying to make a decision here. from what i hear, the zuks have a 1" larger prop and they dont require premium fuel. anyone have any opinions?

miike

mullet

Reaction score
I've done the homework on this one. 'Zuke all the way. Catch them right and get a 6 year warranty. In the 250 they are lighter and have better low end power.

miike

Reaction score
250hp 4 stroke yamaha vs. 250hp 4 stroke zuk

on 1989 20ft grady white

i missed the 6 yr warranty already

btw, is that a sales pitch they have every year or did they realize their motors were breaking and knock it back to 3 yrs. might not have time to realize they suck for a few years if they do though.

miike

Tournament223

Reaction score
Suzuki all the way....Just make sure someone in your area services them....I have 3 buddies that have the Zuks and they love them...Quiet motors too :D

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you put a 250 on a 20' you will be overpowered...

Most of the 20' hulls were rated for up to 230 max.

MrPat

Reaction score
miike said:
overpowered is my middle name

It's not really a question of power. Grady does not care how much HP you hang on the transom. It's all about the weight of the engine. When they built your boat they based their max HP on the weight of the engine (2 strokes at that time). If you re-power with a 4 stroke you will be putting even more weight back there. I'd give GW a call to see if your boat can handle the extra weight of that 4 stroke engine with out changing the way it rides.

That being said. Those Zukes have a great reputation. :D

Fishon02

Reaction score
I'd worry about the extra weight and how it makes the boat sit in the water. Does it push the scuppers and fishbox drains below the water line???

If you want to go fast you have the wrong boat, if you want fishability you have the right boat. I own a Grady because I fish hard once to twice a week and I need a boat that can handle it......

I have a F225 on a 1986 240 Offshore which was rated at 300hp for old school outboards. The weight is just right and she'll run 42.6 MPH (GPS) with a light load on flat water on the bay or lake.

Loaded up with 155 gallons of fuel, ice, gear and three people to run offshore she'll run 36-38 on a flat day offshore (1 ft chop) and have plenty of power to handle rough seas.

If your all about fishin and not running fast I'd save a ton of cash and power it with a 200 four stroke.

Just my fishin perspective.......(-:

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mikike: I've got 157 hours on my Yammie F250 and it runs perfectly. I would base the choice between Yammie and Zuke on the dealers. Which one do you think will give you better service after the sale.

Having owned a 20' Grady for ten years, a 250 is way overpowered on this hull. Don't choose between Yammie and Zuke based on power, because you'll have too much either way.

Also, if you'll run in choppy stuff, you'll want to be able to keep the bow down. The heavier engine will make that a bit tougher to do. I would definitely have trim tabs even with the F200 or F225 which weigh about the same as the F250.

Rob

miike

Reaction score
yeah all the DF200 DF225 and DF250 have a weight of 580lbs. the three yamahas are the same weight too, which is somewhere in the same range as suzuki. i used to have a 200hp johnson and a 9.9 and my friends would sit next to the engine and water wouldnt come thru the holes in the back.
i think that engine might have been around 400lbs, but i took off the 9.9 because the bracket it was attached to was such a pile. so im looking at a lot more power which is nice because i want to be able to cruise at 35 or 40, and its not that much more weight.

anyways, my boat is having the DF250 installed right now. ill let you guys know how it works. and i dont have trim tabs and i dont want to buy them right now either so we'll see what happens.

miike

Reaction score
and i did talk to the grady white dealership and they said there might be a problem with balance because my boat is old and not made for 4 stroke.

but in the sales dept they were going to sell me a 225hp yamaha 4 stroke anyways.

Bread

Reaction score
Mike with the 1989 Overnighter (204c), Suzuki 250,

I love your middle name.
how does your 89 Overnighter ride with the F250 (fast I guess)
Do the scuppers work fine and still above water line?

I have a 1990 Overnighter and am looking at the Suzuki DF175 did you consider?

Tommyboy

Reaction score
Yami or Suzuki

@ 250HP Suzuki all the way .... I know 3 guy's with the new 4 stroke 250 Yami's that had MAJOR issues ..... I would stay away from the Yamaha 250 ..(just an opinion)

Bama96

Reaction score
Re: Yami or Suzuki

Tommyboy said:
@ 250HP Suzuki all the way .... I know 3 guy's with the new 4 stroke 250 Yami's that had MAJOR issues ..... I would stay away from the Yamaha 250 ..(just an opinion)

You say major issues with an F250 Hammer, really? What issues did they have? You sure it was not an HPDI 250? The F250's are some of the best Yamaha makes. You own one? I call BS on that statement.

GulfGrady

Reaction score
Re: Yami or Suzuki

Bama96 said:
Tommyboy said:

You say major issues with an F250 Hammer, really? What issues did they have? You sure it was not an HPDI 250? The F250's are some of the best Yamaha makes. You own one? I call BS on that statement.
I have to call BS also.

go fish

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Yamahas are reliable with a large dealer network. I have 1500 hours on my F250 and they run great. Suzukis may have a good sounding warranty, but my buddy said after the 3 year std warranty, they will only pay up to the value of the engines. (meaning they will not cover 2 powerheads on the same engine without it costing you $$$). Why take a chance on another brand? Your Grady dealer is also a Yamaha dealer and knows rigging, set up, etc.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We need the BS flag for the major problems with F250's. You show Zuke power in your tag, is that what you have now?

Anyway you look at it Zuke doesn't have anywhere near the same dealer network.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
repower

I think your insurance company may have a problem with your middle name too!!! (put a 225 cowling on)