SW FL Grady Bimini 306 vessel in distress yesterday

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I was about 35 miles out of Big Carlos pass (Ft Myers Beach) on the Gulf in my Canyon 336 yesterday (about 20 miles south of where this happened) and heard the VHF calls between the owner of this vessel and the Coast Guard. We listened to the conversation for 30 minutes or so from the original mayday call until the CG small boat met up with them. The captain of the vessel in distress reported having 2-3 feet of water in the transom of his GW Bimini 306. Apparently the vessel is not named as the CG kept calling out to the “Grady 30 foot vessel in distress”. He reported that he didn’t know where the leak was coming from but his two bilge pumps were keeping up as long as he continued moving. He said if he stopped he would sink. He reported the issue when he was about 15 miles west of redfish pass and he was making his way back to the pass as quickly as he could while remaining in contact with the CG until they met up with him when he got close to shore. The captain got his boat and his 2 crew members back to shore safely.

I was thoroughly impressed with how calm the captain of the GW Bimini 306 remained when his vessel was taking on that much water. I was very thankful to hear the calls that he made it back to shore safely. Although I am very interested in hearing more about the “cracked transom” that is reported in this news article, I am impressed with the fact that his Grady was able to remain afloat and under power with functional GPS and VHF with that much water in his vessel.

Great job captain! And great job to the Coast Guard crew in handing this scary situation.

This serves as a reminder to all to make sure your safety gear is up to date, and you have functional VHF with backup handheld VHF and GPS just in case.

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41144664/boat-found-sinking-off-of-redfish-pass-on-captiva-island

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm guessing a thru hold hose breached.