Swim ladder to go over trim tabs on a 180 Sportsman?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I feel I should have a ladder to get back in the boat if I ever go over. The ignition will kill and hopefully I can get back to the boat.
I want a transom mount, folding ladder for the port side. I've seen some generic ones where there's a small platform to stand off over the tabs and a 3 step ladder. (below) They can mount with one or two handrails, two of course more secure but may not be possible as may prevent the engine it's full turning radius.

I have to be honest, the quality looks a bit "cheesy". Has anyone found a sturdy alternative, a life may depend on it.

thanks,

Rob

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 6.40.42 PM.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
I think that the factory platform/ladder would be the same as the 208 null (and other models). On my 208, the platform rails don't interfere at all with the motor.
Boat Outfitters has a few options, here is one with dual rails very similar to your picture. They also have a single rail version if motor clearance is an issue. Personally, I think the dual rail version is preferable since is adds more rigidity.

A few things to keep in mind: Three steps are better than two. Two rails are better than one. In both cases if you are impaired/injured, you may not be able to pull yourself up to the lower step on a two step model. If you hurt the arm that's on the side that a single rail model has it's rail, you may not be able to pull yourself up.
Make sure that you can deploy the ladder when you are in the water. Some are hard to do.
Finally, check that your trim tab cylinder does not get in the way. On some hulls a shorter cylinder was used on the tabs to gain some clearance. I would suggest that you ask Grady who makes the ladder that they used on the 180.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As far as robustness of what you are looking at there, it'll be just fine. It's nothing fancy, but then the price isn't very high, either. It should not interfere with the motor. If you do feel that the inboard handle is going to be in the way, then get the style that eliminates the inboard handle and, instead, uses a support leg underneath. Obviously, check for clearance there with tabs (if you have them, but you should be able to make it work. Thousands and thousands and thousands of boats have simple setups like this. I've used them on a number of boats, as well.

Definitely... the more steps, the better.

Last edited:

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Yep, 3 step minimum, I thought of that. Good to know the single handle is OK if it has to be that way but I would certainly like 2 handles.

I am a bit concerned about the steps laying atop the platform making it difficult to deploy from the water, I've seen others that stow under the platform, may be a better option.

I give Grady a shout to see what the OEM is on a ladder.

thanks,

Rob

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 12.09.02 AM.jpg

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just remembeer, if you are too weak, or too injured, to use the ladder, there is another option. Assuming the engine is off, stand with a foot on each side of the anti vent plate, hug the cowling, and use the tilt switch on the side to dump yourself back aboard.
I know there is no way I could climb aboard without a ladder or platform. Maybe by standing on the trim tab.

Reactions: Recoil Rob

seasick

Reaction score
The ladder is a bit difficult to unfold from the water but it is doable. You can add a short strap to the mid section of the ladder that can be used to help pull the ladder back and cause the mid section to unfold. It is also possible to reach the ladder from the side to unfold it. Finally, a short boat hook can be left in the bottom of the motor well. That can be reached from the water and used to unfold the ladder

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I have the OEM on my 180. The ladder folds in two places and lays flat on top of platform. It is sturdy, I've had some big people (250+ lbs) get in the boat using it. I don't have trim tabs but think clearance shouldn't be an isuue.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I really can't imagine the double handle being an issue - but just do a quick mock-up to be sure.

Personally, I wouldn't spend too much money on a ladder trying to "buy quality". Generally, I'm all for that, but in this case even the inexpensive ones are way more than adequate. Afterall, it's just a platform and some piping.

I've had (and still have) both the topmount and undermount ladders. They each present their own challenges - the undermount is easier to reach and deploy with one hand, but requires some means of securing it in place (and one extra thing to "do" before getting back in - still doable with one hand, though). The topmount is a little harder to deploy, but doesn't need any latching hardware as it will stay put by itself. However, in everyday use, the topmount is a tripping hazzard if you use the platform to board. Myself, I prefer the undermount.

seasick

Reaction score
I would never have thought of using my ladder platform for boarding:)

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Just remembeer, if you are too weak, or too injured, to use the ladder, there is another option. Assuming the engine is off, stand with a foot on each side of the anti vent plate, hug the cowling, and use the tilt switch on the side to dump yourself back aboard.
I know there is no way I could climb aboard without a ladder or platform. Maybe by standing on the trim tab.

I had thought about standing on the plates but cool idea to use the power tilt. Especially with someone on board too small to help.

It might be used for boarding if I'm out clamming or something like that, not from a dock though.

And from what gearadrift stated the OEM isn't a problem with the motor swing.

All good advice, thanks.

Fishtales

Reaction score
As stated, I'd go with the stock configuration GW uses as well. Why reinvent the wheel or have to mouse something that has already been well though out. You could get details and pics prob from the Cust Service team. I'm sure you can buy locally as well.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
And from what gearadrift stated the OEM isn't a problem with the motor swing.
OEM vs aftermarket (Heck, Grady may even use an aftermarket, not sure) really makes no difference in the context of sizing. These are all pretty much the same size. Just because it's stamped "Grady", doesn't mean an aftermarket one won't fit. An 18"x18" platform is an 18"x18" platform, regardless of whose name is on it. I have one these on a narrower boat than yours.

I'm not saying do or do not buy the Grady one (but know that the end result will be just be a lighter wallet)... just make your decision based on logical thoughts/comparisons. Size is size is size, no matter the brand and the aftermarket ones are plenty strong, too.

Truthfully, the most important thing is how you install it. Don't overthink this one - it's just a silly little ladder.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looks very similar to the OEM platform that my old 228 had on it. Worked like a champ, and we never had a problem with deploying it while in the water, though I'm young and pretty agile, for now... The only issue I had ever had with it was the ladder bouncing off into the deployed position in rough seas, or more commonly, the wife and kids forgetting to put it up. That's a chronic issue that still plagues me and likely will for the rest of my days.