Swim Platform Step Max Weight Rating

bdubz06

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the maximum weight rating for the Grady White OEM swim step platform is? I am looking at getting a kicker motor bracket that mounts on the swim platform instead of drilling new holes.

Thanks!

Brad1

Reaction score
I don't know about your boat, but the screws holding the top mounts on my swim platform appear to be just wood screws, not through bolted. I never noticed this before until just recently when I was climbing up into the boat while it sat on the trailer in my driveway. I saw the screws and thought they didn't look very big. I then reached up into the area under the rear part of the deck cap and realized there's no way they could be through bolted. I'm sure every other 226 in the era mine was built is the same way. Any of the other 22 ft Gradys with notched transom and swim platform (again of similar era to me '03 226) are probably the same as well.

There's no way I'd consider mounting a kicker on that swim platform.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Something Else..

When you step up via the ladder onto a swim platform when the boat is on the trailer, the ladder and the platform absorb your whole weight..
Reason being, the boat does not "give" on the trailer.
In the water, the boat sinks with your weight as you climb up, thereby taking the stress off the ladder.

I didn't think about this for years, climbing up-and-down on my Seafarer's swim ladder, and finally cracked the platform around the ladder attachment.

Think about it...a 200lb. dude climbs up the ladder with boat-on-trailer and it has to support his whole weight without the bouyancy (SP?) of water to ease the strain.

I use other ways to get into my Grady when it's on the trailer.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Interesting post; i have just spent $300 having a fiberglass shop repair my platform after my electrical tech (a big guy) snapped it where the coach bolts go thru into the transom.
I had already tried to strengthen it by putting large stainless washers under the bolts but it wasn't enough.
I might add that there appeared to be absolutely no sealant on those bolts.
So definitely wouldn't be putting a kicker on there.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine held 300# (me and a battery) but I wouldn't trust it to mount an engine.