Switch and Breaker location?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Doing a mockup for switch and breaker location for the new windlass. Anyone see an issue with this location?

20200906_154754.jpg20200906_154743.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Changed it to this. Was afraid I'd hit breaker with my knee.

20200906_174821.jpg

Greyduk

Reaction score
That looks like a better location. Nice job.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Guess I'm a little late to the party, but I mounted my breaker out of the way. This was a Sea Ray Sundancer so I just put it on the electronics board in the bilge (the bilge is very accessible). On the dash, I used a primary switch to supply/cut power to the windlass switch. I used a flush push-button style for this since there would be no way you could accidentaly turn on the switch as you have to use your finger tip. The breaker stayed in the on position all the time.

But... good idea on moving the breaker - makes sense.

seasick

Reaction score
I assume that pressing the upper part of the rocker raises the anchor based on the image on the switch. That's interesting. On My Other Boat, the switch is mounted on relatively flat area of the dash. It is a toggle and pushing the toggle forward lowers the anchor. At first I was often confused but if I think of the switch as paying out line instead of lowering the anchor, it makes sense . But so does yours. I guess it depends on whether the switch is mounted vertically or horizontally.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I assume that pressing the upper part of the rocker raises the anchor based on the image on the switch. That's interesting. On My Other Boat, the switch is mounted on relatively flat area of the dash. It is a toggle and pushing the toggle forward lowers the anchor. At first I was often confused but if I think of the switch as paying out line instead of lowering the anchor, it makes sense . But so does yours. I guess it depends on whether the switch is mounted vertically or horizontally.

To me, looking at the switch and the markings,,, anchor up, anchor down. I'll find out tomorrow when I get all the wiring done and hit the switch. From battery to breaker is wired, and from breaker to relay has been pulled but not hooked up yet.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mine is like Seasick's, rode moves in the same direction as the switch, and it was confusing at first. You can change it to suit your preference by switching two wires.
You may have it covered, but the thing I did wrong on a previous install was to put the switch too low, so that I couldn't reach it standing tall to watch for the chain.

Did Grady over cut those corners like that, and in 2004, is the board that covers that area still a wooden composite that soaks up water?

Last edited: