Switch Panel

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
And what does that leave you with to wire to the old harness? Rewire individually? This is not my strong suit. I can build fine. Electrical not so much...
Each switch has one (or two) wires that go to things. You mark them before you take them off. You just plug those to the new switch on the same terminal. You might want to replace the 1/4" spade terminals on those wires. Easy for me to say, I've been in electronics for 40+ years...

nightfighter

Reaction score
Here is a before and after, I used newwiremarine.com as well. I built the new panel there and got the switch rockers from them and rewired it myself. The 3 old switches on there are current not to any thing. I'll replace them with new ones once I add more electronics.
View attachment 28645View attachment 28646
Got a pic of the back side?
My concern is mapping the connections from both sides of the wiring harness

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Got a pic of the back side?
My concern is mapping the connections from both sides of the wiring harness
Take pictures and notes - even label wires and where they connect if you want. You'll be fine. Take pics of YOUR setup - don't compare to someone else's as it will likely look a little different depending on who initially rigged it. Wires should also be color coded based on standards.

Does your manual have a wiring diagram or just a list of wires/colors/functions?

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
Take pictures and notes - even label wires and where they connect if you want. You'll be fine. Take pics of YOUR setup - don't compare to someone else's as it will likely look a little different depending on who initially rigged it. Wires should also be color coded based on standards.

Does your manual have a wiring diagram or just a list of wires/colors/functions?
Probably wont help, but here are a few. I guess I didn't get any of it finished. I'll have to take some.switchpaneloff.jpgswitchpanel3.jpgswitchpanel2.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
find this diagram in your model's owner's manual. This is from my 2000 365 express. The switches were the McGill Euro Oval switches. THEY WERE CRAP! I know this is hard to see but it explains alot once you understand what you are looking at.
It even shows the (original) wire colors. It help to understand that there are different types of switches like SPST(singlepole-single throw) and DPDT (double pole-double throw) and SPDT.
Newer boats had Contura style switches and more terminals on the switches.
Lighted switches have more connections than unlighted switches
Notice that the Nav/Anchor switch has two special jumpers

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 5.58.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: A&J Outdoors