Switching between Primary and auxiliary fuel tanks

JamesT

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am new to the Saltwater boat world and my wife and I just purchased a 2001 grady white 282 sailfish. We were out on the water for the first time last weekend and i realized that I didn't know how to mechanically switch between the primary and auxiliary fuel tanks. Also, I am not sure how to switch between the two tanks on the Yamaha fuel gauges. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jamie

Fishtales

Reaction score
There should be two handles in the aft of the boat clearly labeled main/aux. As I recall, the main is larger. You can play it a couple of ways.
- Run one off the main and one off the aux. Fill both when the aux is low (can switch the motor over if required). This is what I did when I had the sailfish.
- Run both off the main, switch both to aux and fill the main. Basically alternate filling tanks each time. Best if concerned about getting bad fuel.
I have the Marlin now, 2 150 gal tanks. I just run one off each tank and fill both when required.

tx

JamesT

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
so how do i toggle between the primary and auxiliary tanks on the yamaha fuel management gauge to monitor fuel levels of each tank?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That switches tank sending units. If you have ethanol fuel I'd run both engines off each tank. Do you have the Yam fuel management sys?

JamesT

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I remember seeing the switch that had Main/Auxillary. Thanks, I will try it the next time we make a trip to the gulf. I have the yamaha 200hp HPDIs with the Yamaha gauges. The boat is kept dry docked at a marina that has Ethanol Free gas so thats what I will be using. I currently use ring free and Yamalube because that is what the previous owner ran and I think Yamalube is a good product but I am considering switching to Pennzoil synthetic blend after reading some posts on THT about it burning cleaner with less deposits than Yamalube. Any advice /input is greatly appreciated by this Newbie.

seasick

Reaction score
JamesT said:
I remember seeing the switch that had Main/Auxillary. Thanks, I will try it the next time we make a trip to the gulf. I have the yamaha 200hp HPDIs with the Yamaha gauges. The boat is kept dry docked at a marina that has Ethanol Free gas so thats what I will be using. I currently use ring free and Yamalube because that is what the previous owner ran and I think Yamalube is a good product but I am considering switching to Pennzoil synthetic blend after reading some posts on THT about it burning cleaner with less deposits than Yamalube. Any advice /input is greatly appreciated by this Newbie.
I have been running with the Penzoil 'synthetic' blend and honestly can't tell a difference in the amount of smoke in the exhaust. I do inspect my plugs every season and haven't noticed any more buildup or fouling that normal. My motor is a 2000 model year. To me, the more important item is to check the oil synchronization adjustment and linkage as part of your regular maintenance.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
find it easier to run both engines on one tank and then when fuel is running low switch both engines to the second tank rocker switch labeled fuel pushed forward is one tank and pushed down is the other. your boat is a 2001, my guess is the labels on the switches are worn off. I have an 04 and I just replaced the switch covers so they can be read again. They are called actuator covers and are available on ebay - search grady white actuator covers. I think they were 100 bucks for the complete set and they are a nice upgrade to your console.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Been looking for this, thanks. Not listed anymore and sent email to Taylor about relisting. I buy a lot from them.

Legend said:
find it easier to run both engines on one tank and then when fuel is running low switch both engines to the second tank rocker switch labeled fuel pushed forward is one tank and pushed down is the other. your boat is a 2001, my guess is the labels on the switches are worn off. I have an 04 and I just replaced the switch covers so they can be read again. They are called actuator covers and are available on ebay - search grady white actuator covers. I think they were 100 bucks for the complete set and they are a nice upgrade to your console.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tucker said:
Been looking for this, thanks. Not listed anymore and sent email to Taylor about relisting. I buy a lot from them.

here is the contact info - appears it is Taylor in Deleware

GRADY WHITE OEM ROCKER SWITCH ACTUATOR SET - TAX FREE! $94

Seller information
taylormarinede (1415 )
100% Positive feedback

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I may be reading the posts incorrectly, so maybe repetitive. If so sorry....

The switch at the helm is just for the sending units (could be different on newer boats). You can toggle to see how much fuel is in each tank.
There are directional pointing switches (main and aux) in the aft area to allow you to run each motor off the main or aux. Just chase your fuel lines back and you will find them.

Personally I'd run them both off one tank and when done switch to the other and you have a trigger to refill. When refilling fill both and your done.
I did it this way and never had to worry about what tank I was using. I alternated fuel use each tank so I never had fuel in the tank too long.

A purest will say, that's bad because if you get bad fuel both motors will be affected. Yes, guilty as charged. I guess you could run one off each tank (best if equally sized like the marlin) and when you get low on the smallest tank refill both. I would find that a PIA as you have to fill more often if your boat has 2 different size tanks and you only are filling one tank a time. Too much management for me. I have seatow for such snafus, but never needed them in 20+ years on the water.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do it the other way on my 330: run each motor off separate tanks and then refill when the smaller tank is low... I basically treat the extra 50 gallons in the bigger tank as the reserve -- if I somehow forget to pay attention to fuel levels and one of my motors runs out, I can switch them both to the bigger tank and still have those 50 gallons to get home. Also, this way I don't normally have to worry about switching tanks, and I can't end up with stale gas in one tank.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Everwhom,

I'm with you brother.

After running my 330 engines from one tank at a time for 6 years, I now run my F250's pulling from two tanks.

I like the idea of the gas not getting stale and my fuel gauge(s) don't seem to drop as much (Ha Ha)!

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I run off the stern tank when tuna fishing. As we use up the fuel and the stern becomes a bit lighter allowing me to pack tuna in so as to avoid getting too stern heavy.

Halibut and dalmon fishing is not much of a concern so I burn a tank per engine.

eppem

Reaction score
Based on the way my 265 Express is set up - the toggle at the helm is just a switch that tells you the LEVEL of fuel in each tank. There should be two manual switches mounted most likely near the rear of the boat that you have to turn in order to call for fuel from a specific tank.

To each his own. I run my 265 off the forward or main tank (130 gallons). Every few weeks I will pump 10-20 gallons into the back tank and run that back down to empty. We only use the back tank for long offshore runs - no need to carry all that extra weight unless needed. Knock on wood, 11 seasons and almost 1,800 hours with no issues.

Fishtales

Reaction score
everwhom said:
I do it the other way on my 330: run each motor off separate tanks and then refill when the smaller tank is low... I basically treat the extra 50 gallons in the bigger tank as the reserve -- if I somehow forget to pay attention to fuel levels and one of my motors runs out, I can switch them both to the bigger tank and still have those 50 gallons to get home. Also, this way I don't normally have to worry about switching tanks, and I can't end up with stale gas in one tank.

I essentially to do the same, but if you get bad fuel you are basically putting it in both tanks.....

Gmack76

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi,
I may be reading the posts incorrectly, so maybe repetitive. If so sorry....

The switch at the helm is just for the sending units (could be different on newer boats). You can toggle to see how much fuel is in each tank.
There are directional pointing switches (main and aux) in the aft area to allow you to run each motor off the main or aux. Just chase your fuel lines back and you will find them.

Personally I'd run them both off one tank and when done switch to the other and you have a trigger to refill. When refilling fill both and your done.
I did it this way and never had to worry about what tank I was using. I alternated fuel use each tank so I never had fuel in the tank too long.

A purest will say, that's bad because if you get bad fuel both motors will be affected. Yes, guilty as charged. I guess you could run one off each tank (best if equally sized like the marlin) and when you get low on the smallest tank refill both. I would find that a PIA as you have to fill more often if your boat has 2 different size tanks and you only are filling one tank a time. Too much management for me. I have seatow for such snafus, but never needed them in 20+ years on the water.
Does anybody have a good picture of these directional switches to switch between main and auxillery tanks? It would be most helpful.

I have a new to me 1996 272 Sailfish. Previous owner replaced the main tank five years ago and eliminated the auxiliary tank. My boat is at a shop now having a new auxiliary tank installed but the mechanic is having a hell of a time with it because I’m telling him (incorrectly, it seems) that I should be able to switch between tanks with the rocker switch . . . My fuel lines have no switches or valves to switch between tanks and now I’m realizing they were likely eliminated when the main tank was replaced.

seasick

Reaction score
No rocker switch. It was and would be a manual selector valve.
The rocker switch selects which tank sender gets connected to the fuel gauge,main or aux

Reactions: Gmack76

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
One other factor to consider, in a boat such as the 330 the larger tank is aft. The boat runs more efficiently with a balanced level with less fuel in the rear tank and the same or more fuel in the forward tank. The 330 has 45 gallons of water, generator and 14 gallons of diesel at the transom. It is relatively heavy in the stern. I typically keep 100 gallons in each tank and it seems to run smoother and in a more balanced and efficient way. I run each engine off of a different tank.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors