Swivel Rod Holder Additions

Jamato14

Reaction score
Planning on adding 2 swivel rod holders to my 2000 sailfish 272. I have never added rod holders and want to make sure I do it right and not ruin the gunnels.

1. does anyone know if standard swivel holders will fit in the stock lee rod holder holes? They look to be about 2” bases and the backing plate is 5” I don’t have the size of the stock ones but will get this weekend.
2. If I can just drop in should I seal the edges of the hole with lifecaulk or silicone?
3. If I need to cut should they be sealed as well?
4. Planning on moving the stock ones back so the swivels will go in the corners where the aft stock holders are then moving the stock ones in between the current spot and the ones closer to the helm. Can the gunnels support an additional holder on each side (making 3 preferably evenly spaced per side)?

Thanks in advance, always get nervous drilling or cutting and want to make sure it’s done right so I don’t cause potential damage or water intrusion down the road

Attachments

• 54B14CA7-514F-4E0C-B23D-9E8B4470CFA7.jpeg
    54B14CA7-514F-4E0C-B23D-9E8B4470CFA7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 674ED891-2A40-498E-ADD9-6D6C52821BF5.jpeg
    674ED891-2A40-498E-ADD9-6D6C52821BF5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Stock ones are probably 30deg. your swivels are 0deg? or 15deg? the hole will be different and it is a pain to change a 30 deg hole to something less. it can't ever be clean...

Take the stock one out and you will understand. You might find it much easier to drill a new clean hole in a differnt place.

Yes seal but use a silicone sealant not an adhesive like 5200

measure 5 times. make sure the flange is going to have room/be centered in the gunnel. Make sure there is room below!
If it is angled, decide how you will orient it off the side.

I put in 0deg swivel forwrd of the rear corner stock 30deg. I use bent butt rods in the swivel.

Jamato14

Reaction score
Stock ones are probably 30deg. your swivels are 0deg? or 15deg? the hole will be different and it is a pain to change a 30 deg hole to something less. it can't ever be clean...

Take the stock one out and you will understand. You might find it much easier to drill a new clean hole in a differnt place.

Yes seal but use a silicone sealant not an adhesive like 5200

measure 5 times. make sure the flange is going to have room/be centered in the gunnel. Make sure there is room below!
If it is angled, decide how you will orient it off the side.

I put in 0deg swivel forwrd of the rear corner stock 30deg. I use bent butt rods in the swivel.
Great info! I have one 0* and one 15* degree I will be installing. I’m hoping to get it all laid out Friday/Saturday to see what you mean about the stock ones. I had a feeling that was the case but have never installed any myself before so wasn’t sure. I’ll be using bent butt rods with 130’s on them so will have a backing plate underneath for added support.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
0 deg holes are straight down...round hole
angled holes are oval. If you manage to make a clean round hole down thru an oval hole your flange has to cover the oval hole.

drilling a hole in a hole is not easy ...center bit has no wood

drilling angled holes isn't easy either

I prefer 0deg swivels for bent butt rod-
Easy to install
Rod angle will be perfect
rod tip will not swing up and down thru the arc

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you are re-drilling an existing hole, epoxy a square of 1/2" plywood to the underneath, and drill a new pilot hole in the plywood(May need a longer pilot bit). You will be happier trading that 15* for another zero*.
Or, make the plywood large enough that you can screw it in from the bottom, without coming out the top. Easier to remove after drilling the new hole.

Last edited:

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Why not add a track to the top of the gunnel and then you can add any rod holder you want. Cisco Fishing from Ohio makes great ones, so does Cannon.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I thought about adding swivel holders as the last set, as you suggest, rather than in between the two existing holders. Someone mentioned to me that it would be better to have the swivel further forward, as it will allow more room aft for the end game/harpooning etc. Made sense to me, and the bonus for you is that you don't have to fuss with figuring out how to use an existing opening.

Just added a couple holders to my boat. Couple of things. Lay down a layer of blue painters tape across the entire area the holder will cover. Measure where you want the center of hole to be, and mark the tape. Assuming you are using a hole saw, replace the stock center bit with a longer 1/4" bit. Flip the new holder upside down near the hole as a visual guide for the angle. If you have one, a bevel (woodworking tool) will work as well.

Drill hole, and dry fit the holder. Good time to expoxy any exposed wood. Orient the holder as you want it, then carefully cut the blue tape around the holder perimeter. Drill holes for bolts - place bolt in first hole before starting others to help keep it in place. Remove holder and the tape that would be under it. This should now have an opening in the blue tape around the rod holder hole that matches the top plate.

Run a bead of life seal on the gunnel around the perimeter of the holder and the perimeter of the hole. Carefully secure the holder, once loosely bolted down, clean up squeeze out by removing the tape. Once life seal is cured, do the final tightening of the holder.

Catch big tuna. Smile.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I installed a 0 degree swivel holder aft of the last stock 15 degree holder, basically as far aft as possible on the starboard side (right at the tuna door). I prefer this location because if the fish swings back behind the boat the rod clears the motors and there's less chance of getting hung up (lost a giant this way last year). Also, a big fish can just drag the boat backwards while you take a break and eat lunch. For the endgame you can leader the fish forward for the gaff shot from amidships...

Another important consideration is whether you go with short bent butts rods or standard. I prefer short because you can still fight fish standup in a regular harness without adjusting, but then you either want a short swivel holder or you can get an insert riser. Since all my bent butts are short, I just put the short swivel holder in. I only installed one proper swivel holder and we just move the rod with the fish into that holder when we hook up...

I didn't install myself though! Seemed a bit too scary :)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Another important consideration is whether you go with short bent butts rods or standard.
There are short and long rodholders too!
good point. short bent butts don't fit right in a long holder and can ride up. I put in a long 0* swivel holder. I have short 50w and a long 80w. I do like the 80 with long butt to be in a long holder so I need a drop-in swivel extension to use for the short 50.
If he's thinking of 130s he needs long bent butts and long 0* swivel rodholders

Jamato14

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, I’ll be attempting this Saturday so happy to hear as much advice as possible.

These are being installed for giants/medium bluefin and I already have the rods and know the rod holders (same as my last boat) so I know the rod/holder combo works.

I will be using a hole saw but good to know about the tape on the gunnel as well, not something I thought of.

Great info all, appreciate the help!

Reactions: kirk a

Jamato14

Reaction score
Use the tape, but if drilling a straight hole, I run the drill backwards through the gel coat, until I get to glass. Less flaking or chipping of the gel coat around the edges.
Sorry for the dumb question…but… when you say “run the drill backwards” are you referring to in reverse (loosen if it were a screw) or do you mean from under the gunwale up (reverse direction than the rod holder will be going in)?

Sounds like a stupid question but wanted to clarify since I’m new to this process.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Try fitting the new holders into the existing factory holes. I don’t recall having to open mine up when I installed my 0 degree swiveling holders in all 4 factory locations. I prefer to fight fish from the forward holders to give the myself and the second person room to move/change positions when leadering/gaffing.

Attachments

• F20308A8-EA72-4CA9-93FD-D25FA56CA831.jpeg
    F20308A8-EA72-4CA9-93FD-D25FA56CA831.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: Jamato14

Jamato14

Reaction score
Try fitting the new holders into the existing factory holes. I don’t recall having to open mine up when I installed my 0 degree swiveling holders in all 4 factory locations. I prefer to fight fish from the forward holders to give the myself and the second person room to move/change positions when leadering/gaffing.
That’s exactly what I was able to do. I only have two currently but am going to pick up 2 more and replace the front ones. All worked out great with some life caulk and a good drill bit. Was able to install and use 2 days later…with no luck fishing but they came out nice and clean.7CD7D766-2897-49B9-B678-3D0267EB1D73.jpegBF4C8014-16AD-4972-9E66-B243EC47C150.jpeg

Sailfish

Reaction score
I found one trick to installing rod holders is to make a jig out of scrap two by wood. Drill appropriate size hole through two pieces. Glue them together. Cut the two pieces to the correct angle, and clamp over gunwale. Use a longer bit, as others have said, and the jig holds the correct angle.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I found one trick to installing rod holders is to make a jig out of scrap two by wood. Drill appropriate size hole through two pieces. Glue them together. Cut the two pieces to the correct angle, and clamp over gunwale. Use a longer bit, as others have said, and the jig holds the correct angle.

My friend did something like that to install outrigger bases. He used hot glue to mount the jigs to the gunwale while drilling. Knocked the jigs off easy with a hammer after done (the glue has very little shear strength due to the weak mechanical bond to the gelcoat).

One more tip is to get a chisel or multitool and cut out the material when halfway through with the hole saw as the angle of the holder will make the cut deeper than the depth of most hole saws. Knock off the jig and finish drilling the hole.

Attachments

• AFFE0B5B-46CE-4230-8A90-2D2C6CCDCC62.jpeg
    AFFE0B5B-46CE-4230-8A90-2D2C6CCDCC62.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 894B3FDF-5294-44F2-AAA6-773FDC5E6711.jpeg
    894B3FDF-5294-44F2-AAA6-773FDC5E6711.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 72AD24F0-12FB-42E9-B4F8-AB3EA285A6E0.jpeg
    72AD24F0-12FB-42E9-B4F8-AB3EA285A6E0.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Jamato14