Swivel Rod Holder?

Reaction score
Guys I'm just curious if any of you have added a swivel rod holder to your boats to accomodate pulling a planer rod and allow for rod movement when trolling? I have a 273 Chase and have added aluminum backing plates to both of the rear port and starboard rod holders and have put swivel inserts in both of them but I have been thinking about adding possibly a Lee's Swivel Base Rod holder with a backing plate. Have any of you done this? If so...which holder did you go with? 0*, 15* or 30*? I will be mostly using this with a short bent butt rod for use of pulling a planer as mentioned earlier. Look forward to some of your comments.

jrhall

Reaction score
We have done it with success. I think our rod holders are the 15 degree. We have two swivel inserts that just drop in. You can adjust the tension before you put them in the rod holder. I'm not sure where we got them. Send a PM to ROBERTH and he can tell you.

Reaction score
jrhall said:
We have done it with success. I think our rod holders are the 15 degree. We have two swivel inserts that just drop in. You can adjust the tension before you put them in the rod holder. I'm not sure where we got them. Send a PM to ROBERTH and he can tell you.

Did you add the 15 degree swivel Rod holders yourself? Which brand did you go with?

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
Look at something like this. Just inserts that you drop in to existing ones. No assembly required and can be quickly removed if needed,

http://www.tgttackle.com/tgt-rod-swivel.php

Hey man I appreciate that link. Those are actually the exact ones that I already have in my two port and starboard rear rod holders. They work like a champ. I was just curious about adding a Lee Swivel Rod holder on the port side between the forward and aft Rod holder that the factory puts in.

jrhall

Reaction score
We went with the lee's. Put them in the back corners with backing plates. They work well, the only thing is when fishing bent butts for wahoo they are so far back you have to lean quite far. We are ordering two more inserts for the next two rod holders so we can move the rods around with a fish on and still have the swivel.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The inserts I have were purchased from Pinnacle from THT site. They work great! I installed 2 in the far aft rod holders that I installed a couple of years ago in the extreme corners and the lean to reach them can get tiring when cranking on a Hoo.
I am on the list to get 2 more so I can put in the next set of rod holders just forward so I can move the rod back to a more comfortable position, but still have the swivel capability. Pinnacle has some really good deals and prices so worth the wait as he sells out fairly quickly.

Reaction score
I don't want to put a rod holder...if I decide to do it any further back than the factory ones...due to the reach that you mention. It can be a true pain in the a$$ when trying to clip in the planer on the bridle. What I was curious about is maybe putting it just forward of the aft rod holder (between the factory holders). What are y'alls thoughts? Plus this will still allow me to reach it to place the backing plate through the removable storage bin in the port aft corner.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I added a Lee, 15-degree, extra long, heavy-duty swivel holder on the starboard side, between the two factory rod holders.

For appearance as well as use, I added a Lee, 15-degree, standard length, heavy-duty non-swivel holder in the same location on the port side.

The starboard side is for the heavy bent-butt planer rod and, due to the holder placement, the rod tip can easily be reached from the aft, stud corner of the cockpit. This is essential as we use a bridled planer that must be clipped on and off.

I also have drop in swivels for the factory aft rod holders, as these work well with our short bent-butt deep-drop rods with Tanacum 1000 reels.

I think I can dig up some photos if needed.

Lee holders can be seen on both sides in my profile photo below.

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
I added a Lee, 15-degree, extra long, heavy-duty swivel holder on the starboard side, between the two factory rod holders.

For appearance as well as use, I added a Lee, 15-degree, standard length, heavy-duty non-swivel holder in the same location on the port side.

The starboard side is for the heavy bent-butt planer rod and, due to the holder placement, the rod tip can easily be reached from the aft, stud corner of the cockpit. This is essential as we use a bridled planer that must be clipped on and off.

I also have drop in swivels for the factory aft rod holders, as these work well with our short bent-butt deep-drop rods with Tanacum 1000 reels.

I think I can dig up some photos if needed.

If you have a few pics that would be great. I would like to add one on both sides between the two factory holders but here is my problem. It appears that you can access the underside of your gunnels with ease...I can't do that since Grady thought it was necessary to put the horizontal Rod storage areas closed off so you can't access the back side of the holders. I really don't want to have to take those panels off to install holders...that's why I was thinking the port side for now since I could easily reach it to put the backing plate on with that rear storage bin taken out.

Lee holders can be seen on both sides in my profile photo below.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think that you have to assess whether this will put a rod in the way that you always have to move when gaffing a fish. I like the spacing I have, and the inserts allow you to move them to any rod holder you wish and if you don't want it to swivel, just remove it.
The Lee is permanent and will always swivel, so consider that in your decision. You can always put a standard rod holder there and use an insert as well.

Of course on the other hand, one can never have enough rod holders! :mrgreen:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Golf ball! Good one, but need more friction. I don't want them to swing around like a golf club and whack someone! :mrgreen: