Synthetic Oil

ron t

Reaction score
Has anyone used Synthetic Oil on a yamaha 4 stroke. The manuel makes no mention of it. I would think it is better for the engine as it does not break down as easily as the recommended yamaha lube. Thanks for any input. ron t

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was thinking about switching over but I spoke to a mech who explained to me the synthetic is good if you dont change the oil often. Since I change at every 50 hrs I think it would be a waste.

Anyone have a different theory about this??

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Most of the properties that make synthetic oils a good choice for automotive use are not relevant to marine applications.

You can't safely extend drain intervals for marine engines because of fuel dilution and moisture accumulation issues. Better cold weather starting performance is only rarely important for boats.

Corrosion protection during periods of inactivity is very important for marine engines. Protection from corrosion is a property of both the oil base stocks and the additive package. Interestingly, the latest reformulation of Yamaha 4-stroke oil uses mostly a Group I base stock. This is the least refined type of base stock and is sort of the opposite of synthetic base oils (Group III, IV, and V). They may be doing this to increase the solubility of additives that prevent corrosion and inhibit valve train wear at high rpm.

I believe that Amsoil offers the only full synthetic 4-stroke oils that is FC-W rated for outboard engines. You can get around the additive solubility problems with full synthetic base stocks by included expensive ester based Group V oil to the mix. It's no doubt good stuff, but not really worth the extra money if you have to change the oil once a year or every 100 hr.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
if you troll lot do not run synthetic oils unless you want to make oil

Nissan states do not run synth in their motors, i wonder why?????

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Amsoil in mine at 65 hours, now at 310. Lots of trolling and harbor cruising, does not make oil. Annual OCI, 80-100 hours.

Not much difference in cost vs. yamalube. Since I have Amsoil in everything I own I don't question it, I just order out what I need and put it in.

In every oil test there are products that do as well as Amsoil, but never anything that is better. I don't extend drain intervals on anything. I have two allison transmissions, one in a duramx, one in a workhorse RV chassis with the 8.1, a bmw 3-series, 3 motorcycles, and a toyota. Motors, trans, and diffs all have synthetic. That's just how we roll. :wink:

The d-max got delo 400 last time, it only gets about 4K miles a year, and costco had it cheap. I did lose 1 mpg or so. Shell Rotella is also a good oil, but they don't have a marine rated product. If not for Amsoil, mine would get yamalube. No cheap stuff for these expensive motors.

BTW, oem oil filters only - the off-brands are crap.