System or mold control

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m thinking of putting together a 12 V system with a inverter to control mold wonder if there’s some smart electricians could tell me if this would work with this set up. Here’s a list of the components.

Wonder if there’s any smart electrical people would could tell me if this system would work if I use all these components to control mold

I have a 12 V lithium battery with a 65 W inverter with a dehumidifier that uses 23 W with a solar panel I believe it’s a 25 W

I have no access to a 120 V outlet in the storage yard

I could go and use the moisture control beads, but I’m looking for something other than that

Thank you

Visit the GRECELL Store

4.5 out of 5 stars

Reviews

12V 25W Solar Battery Charger Maintainer, Portable Solar Panel Car Trickle Charger Waterproof 25 Watt Mono+ SAE Cables Kit for Truck Boat RV Motorcycle Truck Marine Vehicle Battery

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CH9T7G1C/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1FHLPG6FHEQLU&psc=1

BESTEK Store

4.5 out of 5 stars

Reviews

BESTEK 300W Car Power Inverter [65W PD USB-C] 12V DC to 110V AC Car Plug Adapter Outlet Converter with and QC3.0 USB Port, Multi-Protection Car Charger Power Inverter for Vehicles (Red)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CB7ZPX1S/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=AWZ3LXPHZK09&psc=1

GNT

5.0 out of 5 stars

Reviews

MXLEGNT Lithium Battery 12V 100Ah: Lifepo4 Batteries With Upgraded 15000 Deep Cycles & 100A BMS - 10-Year Lifespan - Max. 1280Wh Energy in Small Size - Perfect For Rv, Solar, Trolling Motor (12V100AH)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...88fc4de210d2d&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

4.0 out of 5 stars

Reviews

Pro Breeze Dehumidifiers for Home,215sqft Small Dehumidifiers for Room,17oz Tank Portable Closet Dehumidifier Removes Humidity Mini Small Dehumidifier for Bathroom Dehumidifier for Bedroom RV Basemen

Use 23 watts

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Breeze-E...r,aps,379&sr=8-8#immersive-view_1702663527896

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the two replies
Wonder if I get a smaller dehumidifier with less wattage?

Or bigger, solar panel?

seasick

Reaction score
It’s the whole boat and it’s stored for four weeks
Four weeks is not a long time. I assume you have the boat covered.
I have had very good results in reducing mold by using DampRid containers. One in the cabin and one in the head. This boat is stored all winter and will grow some mold with the DampRids but no where near the amount when no desiccant.
MY boats are covered but have open areas to allow air circulation. Ventilation is the key to success if the boat is covered.

Reactions: JJMag

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Four weeks is not a long time. I assume you have the boat covered.
I have had very good results in reducing mold by using DampRid containers. One in the cabin and one in the head. This boat is stored all winter and will grow some mold with the DampRids but no where near the amount when no desiccant.
MY boats are covered but have open areas to allow air circulation. Ventilation is the key to success if the boat is covered.
Thank you I went with Damp red, 2 pound container from Amazon quantity to and went with 7 1/2 pounds refills from Home Depot. Free delivery with both of them looks like that’s my best. Thank you for everybody’s help.

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can you add the rest of the answers?
The boat is covered bow to stern.

It’s in full sunlight.

And before storing it, I try to get it as dry as possible

and yes, it’s for the entire boat.

And in the cover, there’s four air vents for airflow.
If there’s more questions, I’ll be happy to answer

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks, JJ - that helps visualize better what you have. Honestly, in this case, I think all you need to do is make sure you have air movement. A small, low amp-draw, 12V fan should do it, along with a solar charger for the battery. I don't think a dehumidifier is going to do anything - it would only help in a fully enclosed area like the cabin... but then you have to make sure to drain the water OUTSIDE of the boat.

Truthfully... with making sure the boat is dry (and clean... mold likes dirt) and the cover having ventilation... you really don't need to do anything for just a few weeks. Heck, we shrink wrap boats for 6 months (and longer) at a time and those boats don't get any mold. I would just wrap it and forget it.

Reactions: JJMag

Fishtales

Reaction score
These work great for me during layup. Install a couple in your cabin or enclosed areas. Install a couple under your cover in cockpit and helm areas. They work well.