T-Top outriggers for 273 chase?

Finaddict2

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hello everyone. Had a question I'm in the process of buying a 273 chase and the owner did not use the outriggers so he removed and sold them. What type do you all recommend for this boat?

Thanks in advance.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I have a 273 Chase...They come with Rupp and I love them..18 years and 2200 offshore hours.

Finaddict2

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks brdawg, can you help with the model #?
How do u like your chase? Any info you can pass on would appreciate it

this one is an2005
I have the mechanic going this friday to check the engines. My only worry is it has 2004 yamaha 4 strokes and all the issues with the exhaust corrosion and getting to the oil pan, block etc. has me thinking twice. Engines have 790 hours on them.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks brdawg, can you help with the model #?
How do u like your chase? Any info you can pass on would appreciate it

this one is an2005
I have the mechanic going this friday to check the engines. My only worry is it has 2004 yamaha 4 strokes and all the issues with the exhaust corrosion and getting to the oil pan, block etc. has me thinking twice. Engines have 790 hours on them.

On the flip side if it has those issues you can use it to negotiate a better price. Once the repair is made, it's now done right. If you are going to trailer the boat, you could get some Tacos with telescoping poles. I have some Tacos and my boat is only 6 inches narrower than the boat you are interested. My mounts are their simple ones, GS 170.

You could get the nicer ones but 15 foot poles should be fine. Now if you live on the water and don't trailer much you could go 18 feet on the poles and you could go no telescoping, just a straight pole. I like the telescoping ones because I can easily remove them for cleaning and when I am in the Keys I can fish in the morning and then hit the reefs coming in for RR and get the outriggers out of the way when they are folded up. Also, I don't run in or out with them up. Even though I have a backing plate and all, it reduces the stress on the hard top ,mounts and poles.

It all depends on how you use your boat. I only get to fish a couple times of the year and the rest of the time my boat is landlocked in a lake. I don't need the gear up there on the lake. It is stored in my garage. These are factors when deciding what kind of outriggers you may want. Oh, if I had to do it over again, I would go carbon versus aluminum. They are lighter, stiffer and will never oxidise . The down side to carbon is though when it fails , it fails catastrophically. Meaning aluminum will bend a few times then break. Metals give you some warning, carbon does not. I have 3 bicycles , road, Gravel and mountain and all are carbon. Sweet rides. My Tacos I didn't put away totally clean and they got sticky as the aluminum had some corrosion and the poles got stuck together. Carbon should not ever do that .

Last edited:

Finaddict2

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks for the input Bob, I will look into these. Yes i will get telescoping. Lets see what the engines look like. I also heard of the fiber gears having issues. I have been a yamaha man since 99. with their two strokes and its what i currently have on my grady but it seems these four strokes for yamaha are a big problem.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
Hi, Agree with Smoky on the motors....I had 2002 F225's and threw a rod at 1900 hours in 2018....repowered with 250 Zukes. I never had corrosion issues...flush the motor tilted all the way up.
1. For some reason I am not a Taco man...Rupp is the standard and I have Top Guns...I can call them and purchase ANY piece or part easily, even thought they do not break unless you do not maintain them a little.
2. I do not understand the attraction to the telescoping riggers...anything that can move like that is not good when you regularly go offshore as far as I do...fixed outriggers are not an issue and figuring out how to deal with halyards is a a pain with telescoping. I take my fixed riggers off after each trip and it takes 2 minutes.
3. If you do go with Fixed, use the "Povermo" method to attach you halyards...hands down the best way...you can google. Do not use mono.
4. I moved up to 18 ft and love them...but I am a bit crazy..I run 7 lines, 2 dredges and 2 teasers.

r

Finaddict2

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks for the info, I see the tacos are priced high also. But good info thanks to both for the help.

How do you like your chase?
I have had the 24 offshore for 30 years and have put that boat through everything. Big change for me as always had two stroke. But reading all the negative on these yamahas just makes me not want to buy the boat. Specially the 2004 225.

Lets see what we see on friday. I have the boat at 49,000. 2005. chase 273. with 790 hours from what I have seen as far as prices this seems to be a good deal. comes with a 2013 rocket trailer all aluminum and very good condition. boat is excellent shape. weird T-top it splits in two.( removeable) doesn't have the electronic box but he said that's the way he bought it in 2006 from the original owner with 120 hours. Hes the 2nd owner.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Is there a plate for the outrigger mounts already welded into the T-top? If so, make sure whatever mounts you get will pop into that hole. Otherwise you are going to have to get a new plate welded in. Not that it is a huge deal, it just makes a quick project into a more involved project.

I had Taco Grand Slams on my 2002 273 Chase, and they worked fine. I had to retract the telescoping outriggers after each trip so my marina could put the boat in the stack, which was a real pain.

Be careful with those engines. My 2002s had the exhaust work done before I bought the boat. That did't stop is from blowing a head gasket and needing a complete rebuild. Those 225s ran great until that. It happened right around 500 hours. Assuming they scope clean, you can use their bad reputation as a bargaining tool and then run them till they die and re-power. Just know they are nowhere near as reliable as the 250s.

I loved my Chase. It's a great boat. Plenty of seating for cocktail cruising, plenty of space for hauling the family to the beach, and a very capable offshore platform.

Good luck!

Finaddict2

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes there is a plate. I would need to measure the hole and the distance from bolt to bolt hole. I hear you on those motors. Thats whats holding me back, even if the exhaust is clean it has me on edge to buy it due to those engines. i cant afford to re-power now. I wish I could find a clean chase hull with no engines.. but grady smacked all their boats with yamahas so we will need to deal with them

But we will see Friday

brdawg2001

Reaction score
Hi,

Mine is fully welded and you should be able to get the parts easily and install...call Grady on that....the whole yamaha thing is certainly interesting...as noted I ran mine for 16 years and 1900 hours with no issues....a few things about the boat..

1. not a go fast boat...but will run 50 in a river..
2. cruises nice in a calm ocean at 37 or so.
3. very stable trolling platform...very.
4. fish boxes are a bit small since grady does not put anything in the floor..I am ok with that.
5. grady wiring SUCKS...I replaced my fused panel in the console...much better.
6. will plane at 10 mph...so when the going gets rough let it eat..tabs are really not necessary unless you level or want to put the nose down a bit in a head sea.
7. best insulated fish boxes in the business
8. no stress cracks after 18 years and 2200 hours
9. great all around hull ...very underappreciated..best riding grady hull overall since it is not too beamy...the main issue with Grady's...beam to length...
10. Overall interior is very nice...I removed the rod storage cover as the is where you put your feet for working the outriggers...now you can lean in to the bolsters.

Finaddict2

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Great info, Thanks
Im not a speed guy i respect the ocean. Been in contenders and SeeVees hauling butt and jumping waves not fun. Just looking for a reliable good quality boat. I hear you on the wiring I had mine replaced early on and never had anymore issues with them. I did not se one stress crack on this boat. he mainly used it for diving and sand bar. Thats why he removed the riggers.

Lets see what the engines look like tomorrow.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have taco top guns with 15' telescoping poles. Perfect for 4 lines and fold up nice and out of the way when cruising.

Finaddict2

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, just got back and the engines checked out OK, minus the starter relay on one engine. Also had one anode on the lower cyl that the o ring was popping out you could see dried up salt laying on the bottom area there. Did notice other things this time as I really dedicated myself to check the boat out everywhere. on the bottom of the haul he had removed two drains or pick ups not sure what it was but it had fiberglass repair and he said we could look at this area more.
then the switches he said he replaced the panel, but he did not connect the switched back to the way they were. meaning you hit the bilge and it turns on a light. (dum). This really hit me. He put a new transducer and connected it to one of the auxillary switches. I asked why and he said he does not use the depth finder much. ok so dont use it but connect it to the gps unit. why connect it to an auxiliary switch.
so the exhaust are clean, but in my mind I know this will have to be changed to prevent future issues. But really dont like the holes that were covered up again. I had to leave and go back to work. But I will talk to him tomorrow and make a decision.

I want to thank all of you for your input and help along the way.

Reactions: brdawg2001

Finaddict2

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I know this has the original switches, but it looks like he just rewired some and did not connect them correctly. Who knows. Also he removed the thru hull and added a new one and di not use the original hole drilled out another hole. plus he also removed the suction for the electric toilet. And really dont under stand what he did there. I don't know if im being picky or what. he called and reduced it again. Too many issues and he stated that he pulled the powerhead to remove a leaking oil seal but did not do the exhaust after saying he did.