T-Top Soft or Hard?

nightfighter

Reaction score
I can have a custom T-top fabricated locally, with soft top, no box, installed, for half the price of a T-top with a fiberglass hard top with box, by a well regarded out of state firm. Serious money differential.....

My question is; what are the pros and cons of the soft top vs. hard top?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fiberglass will add weight, but will last longer. If you are in a harsh enviornment where you boat 12 months out of the year, fiberglass will last longer if you take care of it. A soft top will require new canvas after a few seasons, in a less harsh enviornment it will last longer. Both are good options and a great addition to a boat so you really cannot go wrong with either option. I see you stated it is an out of state firm, is it Atlantic Towers? ...I know some guys like their work but I have heard a lot of negatives as well. Having a top built for a boat and done without the boat on site is not the best option. Your best quality tops will be done on site and welded as they are secured to the boat. If the top is prefabbed, it may not fit 100% correctly and may need to be forced into place. Over time it may cause cracks and stress the mounting locations. I know Grady makes a production boat, but there is a given amount of play within the specs, as well as from a prefabbed manufacturer. If you are spending a good amount of money you want it to last. I know any top is better then no top but just figured I would give you a heads up about a premade T-Top.

nightfighter

Reaction score
http://www.redmanmarinefabricators.com/index.html
I have seen their work and it is top notch. But top dollar too. I would also have to deliver boat to them for install. I think their tops are very good looking.
Maybe I'm being a anal, but given the price I can get a quality base welded frame for,installed (2200.00), it seems I should be able to get the hardtop with box delivered for less than 2400.00.

Yep, winter's here.....

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Their hardtops do look nice. I like the look of the hardtop better then the T top from his sample picks. Most Grady's do come with soft T tops though on CC and hardtops on WA.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hard top vs Soft top..

Many more advantages to go with the hard top. Better place to mount antennas,Radar,outriggers etc....The hard top frame is much more solid and safer to hold on to while walking up to the bow....Mine has a netting inside where the the life jackets are stored(Great space saver)....You cant beat the rocket launcher option where the rods get stored safe and out of the way.

I never heard anyone say after they decided on the hardtop.."I should have got'en the soft top"...Just the opposite.

Good Luck.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

hinmo

Reaction score
hard vs soft

A great question. I have had several with both. Currently have a soft top on my 24 Explorer. My last boat, a 23 ft Robalo, had a hard top which was overbuilt and heavy.....the boat handled like a dog because of it, clearly threw the center of gravity off. It also leaked and stored water. The soft top I have now is just fine. IT s easy to remove and provides adequate protection.

I'll stay with a soft top.
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb89/hinmo/?action=view&current=HPIM0843.jpg

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are misinterpreting part of this thread, the author and I are talking about a canvas top on the T Top vs a fiberglass top on the T top if I am correct. I do not think he is buying a soft removable top. It is just a question of what to use as the hardtop material, canvas or fiberglass.