T8 tilt problems

Pighunter

Reaction score
I had the tilt motor replaced last year on my Yamaha T8, 7 month's later, 6 fishing trips and I used the kicker on two of those trips, it's stopped working. I tested the relay and it's not that. The certified Yamaha shop that did my work is a one man "owner" operated shop and he's not exactly known for his speed. He did contact Yamaha and found out the motor only had a 30 day guarantee? Any thoughts? Salmon season just opened today and I hate to go through the entire season with no kicker.

seasick

Reaction score
Did you apply power and ground directly to the tilt motor leads? If not, try that to see if the motor runs.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Did you apply power and ground directly to the tilt motor leads? If not, try that to see if the motor runs.
Yes I unhooked from the relay and jumped from a battery, the motor made a noise when I touch the "up" lead then nothing. had to be a faulty motor? I don't see how it could have died so fast.

seasick

Reaction score
how many leads does you pump have, 2 or 3?
When you tested did you try jumping the negative cable back to the battery to see if that has an issue?

Also, with th test you did, repeat but if the motor doesn't make noise, wack it (carefully) with something solid to see the motor starts. If it does, the motor is bad.

Pighunter

Reaction score
how many leads does you pump have, 2 or 3?
When you tested did you try jumping the negative cable back to the battery to see if that has an issue?

Also, with th test you did, repeat but if the motor doesn't make noise, wack it (carefully) with something solid to see the motor starts. If it does, the motor is bad.
The electric motor is fried. Mechanics going to order me a new one on Monday. He's paying for the part and I'll install it.
Picture is not very clear but it's toasted inside, but it didn't appear to have leaked so I don't know what would cause it accept a manufacture defect?

Attachments

• 20210626_132328.jpg
    20210626_132328.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
It may have been stuck on. Do you turn off the batteries after use?
It is possible that you have a bad relay or switch (motor or helm) and it is causing the tilt to run and overheat.

Pighunter

Reaction score
It may have been stuck on. Do you turn off the batteries after use?
It is possible that you have a bad relay or switch (motor or helm) and it is causing the tilt to run and overheat.
I actually ran the kicker battery cables directly to a battery (always has power). I think I may change that when I reinstall.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If it's the same parts as the 9.9 Yamaha Make sure it's the updated part!! My dad went through the same thing and it died after two uses and more than 30 days. To update the parts you replace the motor and hydraulic system. After a long battle with Yamaha they hooked him up with all the updated parts for free.

Both times his failed a quick tap of the motor housing with the Gaff would get things moving again.