Tackle door latch is stuck!

Gary M

Reaction score
On my 2001 Marlin, I have three pull-out tackle doors under my seat. 'Something' inside is blocking the latch and the door is stuck shut. Before I get out the power tools, is there a way to fix this?

I'm thinking about drilling a hole through the latch to try and push something inside to get whatever is blocking the latch, to get out of the way. :hmm

Otherwise, it could be big drill bits, trash the latch and install a new one....... if I can find one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I would unscrew the whole unit and remove it first. you may be able to see something. The box on mine is not solid, it has holes molded into the plastic.

I have had problems with SouthCo locking door latches in the past. The lock mechanism loosens and vibrates into (or part way into) the locked position. I have had to use a small screwdriver to bring the lock back in line with the opening on the latch handle.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd first take out the other two drawers and see if you can gain access. It the top drawer, I'd remove the unit as stated and access via the top. If my memory is right, there is a box around the entire 3 drawer set. You may need to cut an access hole in the top black (it is recessed inside when installed) to access. When you re-install you won't see it.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
If you can remove it, then you can shake it turn it upside down, etc. Do that and see if what ever is preventing the door from opening gets moved around in a new position and voila...door opens?

Gary M

Reaction score
Great ideas guys, thanks!

I saw that four screws hold the entire cabinet in place so I should be able to slide the whole thing out and go from there. Drilling a big access hole right above the latch should give me the access I need to un-block it.