Tackle Storage

JeffN

Reaction score
It is probably "famous last words" for me but I don't seem to have too many things to do the boat this winter, mainly just keeping up with stuff. At this point my only modification project is for some improved tackle storage. The 25' has an ice box to STB, in the cabin,that I never use as an ice box and is used as a catch all locker. I am toying with the idea of cutting a door into the face of it and either buying or building a cabinet that will take Plano tackle trays or maybe a drawer unit of some sort. I would use the top opening as a shallow storage area. I could build a tackle cabinet under the companion seat like Grady started in '87 but not sure if I would like that or not. There is an early 90's Sailfish nearby with the tackle center and I will check that out. Anyone have any ideas? What home grown solution has worked for you? :hmm

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
There was a guy that took his refrigerator out and installed a very nice storage unit in it's place.
Try Florida Marine Plastics. (http://www.flmarineplastics.com/). He has advertised on this site a few times and makes some nice things. I bet if you gave him the dimensions, he would work with you to design something sweet.

If you want to cheap out (like me...). I bought a bunch of Plano tackle boxes at HD, they were selling 3 packs for like $9 or something. They were the ones with the black pinned hinged locks (won't break after repeated open/closes). I got two Husky open tool bags. These have handles and a shoulder strap. I can store 7-9 tackle boxes in each bag and they store away in the boat. When fishing, I put them in the cockpit, but it is real easy to get anything out as you can see everything. I think I spent like $60 and I have a ton of tackle storage in addition to the (4) Plano tackle boxes that store in the Marlin. I can rotate the four in/out as needed depending on what we are fishing for.

Good luck and take some pics if you do go the custom route.

JeffN

Reaction score
Fishtales - presently I am storing my stuff in a bag and as I just have a bunch of fishing tackle piled up in the unused ice box I am looking to utilize that space. In addition above the ice box is a cabinet that I may rework to get some extra space too.
Ono - that is the sort of thing I have been looking at for the past couple of years, just had too many other things to do. I have to take some measurements and see how much space I will actually have when done not sure if it is practical of not.

Time will tell, I need to get a head start on next season.

Fishtales

Reaction score
yep, that is the tackle drawer set up. nicer than I remember....

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There was a post on that thread I referenced that sounds like it would yield a lot more space - I may consider this if I decide to do anything:

tilewave said:
hello, i have a 265 express. i never used the fridge, (didnt want to deal with stuff spilling/ or leaving it on draining batteries by accident/leaving stuff in there etc..) i used it as storage but very small so a waste of space.
anticipating installing a cabinet i removed the fridge. the space down there is big. instead of a cabinet i ;
- made a floor from 3/4 plwood stained mahogany with a lot of varnish
- carpeted the inner walls with indoor/outdoor same colors as interior
- for the opening i was going to get fancy with a cabinet door etc... but instead for maximum accessibility i got a piece of beige canvas sewn nice and put button snaps on it and use that as a door.

i keep my valise raft ( when im not offshore) stowed away plus other incidentals.
when i go offshore the raft comes out and my passengers that bring their duffel bags like their going away for a 3 weekend get "thrown" in there.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks interesting but expensive (even doing it yourself) for the space gained. To each his own I guess. I'd incorporate toe rails into it if you can.

JeffN

Reaction score
That looks good but I have no place to install something like that. Last week I did find a unit that holds 6-#3560 Plano boxes. It will fit nicely in the ice box and I will still have room over the new storage unit for other things that I will be able to access through the old icebox lid in the top. I now just need to pick up a Plano box to see if the model the unit holds is a good size for my tackle. Also I have an existing wall cabinet over the icebox and think I can order a door only and build a drawer unit to fit behind it. So I am making some progress.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thinking I would like to make a starboard or PVC board plano box holder in place of the wall mounted stove. I think I could get 6 or 8 boxes in this area. Never use the stove, so would be a good spot to make use of.

JeffN

Reaction score
Robert that is my thought just find some unused space and make it suitable for new use. I found this http://www.boatoutfitters.com/tackle-unit-6-trays and it should fit nicely in the lower part of my icebox. I ordered two of the 3650 Plano boxes to see how they will work with my tackle. If I can put a drawer unit in that another spot I have it should help neaten things up measurably.

Dion4

Reaction score
Storage units already have all arrangements according to your needs in aspect of space, temperature and accommodation. The space which i reserved for storage in Wakerley was really secured and offered me discount too (occasionally). You should also choose secured and reliable storage place wisely.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
JeffN, check out the results I posted in another thread. Winter project turned out great so far. I like it and it was easy and cheap to make.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21101

JeffN

Reaction score
Robert I did see the thread and checked out your storage solution, very nice. Unfortunately the only space that something like that would fit is already holding my ditch bag. The next warm day that I have some time I am going to double check the measurements of the box I linked to above and if I still seems like a good idea I will order it. I fell it will work for my needs. I have ordered a couple of Plano trays and they fit my usage. I am going to try this route first and then if need be expand into the shelf area above I will. Thinking I could use about half of the shelf area for tackle storage. I would like to try my hand at making something from Starboard with drawers to fit into the shelf area.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, cool.
In case it does not fit, the luxury of using either PVC or Starboard is you can make it any way you want it so it can fit. Also, the PVC board is a viable alternative to the Starboard in some cases. This was easy to work with and did not cost much at all. It cuts, routes and sands pretty good. Takes screws very well and adding the PVC glue should also improve the joint strength. :)

fishbust

Reaction score
I really like that tilt out box rdstarok made. A perfect spot would be in front of the livewell on my 272.