Tak to me about trailer tires....

askibum02

Reaction score
I just bought a used EZ Loader roller trailer to get my boat from MD to NC. I noticed after I bought it, that it has "P" passenger tires, rather than "ST" trailer tires. They are 235/75/15. What are the ramifications for trailering long distance with P tires rather than ST tires. I am in a time crunch right now so I really don't have time to replace them. They also seem to "bulge" more at the bottom than I remember my last trailer which had ST tires..

The boat is my Trophy listed in my signature, which is 4550# Dry, approx 900# in engines, and minimal fuel and no gear save electronics. The trailer is rated to carry 7000#.

Islander

Reaction score

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Make sure the hubs/bearings are OK (heat is your enemy), pump the tires up to max cold pressure, keep your speed down, avoid as many pot holes as possible, and have a spare. You should be OK in the short term, replace 'em when you can. :wink:

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brett
I'd replace them. Is it worth losing the boat due to a blow out?

My trailer has 1 year old Goodyear Marathons... :p

I've had plenty of local interest but need to use it for the next month or so while I repower, then order a new Loadmaster.

Greg

askibum02

Reaction score
Hind sight is 20/20. :wink:

Seriously, this trailer was local and I had to get it quick. I did get a really good deal on it too. Unfortunately, I didn't have time for a trip to NC and back.

greyg8r

Reaction score
I think the most important thing for you to consider now is the weight rating of those tires. I'm assuming it's a tandem axle so the total weight of the hull + the engines + accessories and fuel (minimal) + batteries, etc. + weight of trailer must be less than 7000# to be safe and each tire must be able to support its 25% share of 7000# which would be 1850# each. If the tires can support that, you should be okay; if they can't support that, I would replace them.

Brad1

Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider trailering that rig on passenger tires. If you bought that trailer new, take it back and insist they replace the tires with trailer tires.

askibum02

Reaction score
I finally got the boat down to NC this weekend. All I've got to say is WHAT A FREAKING NIGHTMARE!!!!! I had planned on getting the tires replaced, but ended up having to come to NC a week earlier than planned to finalize everything for my new job. I had left the truck and trailer in MD and took a train to and from NC. I planned on leaving Friday morning thinking I could make it most if not all the way by dark. I had gotten almost all the way to Richmond when my first blow out happened. Changed the tire with my spare (a new trailer tire on a new rim), and was on my way in fairly short order. I also called BoatUS and added the Trailer Club to my membership.

About 40 miles later, I blew my second tire!! I called BoatUS, and they couldn't help me because my membership wasn't active yet. :evil: Thank God for Navi systems. I was able to call around and find a new tire at Pep Boys. I had to leave the boat on the side of the Hwy and go get the new tire put on. 3 Hours later, i made it back to the boat to change the tire out. I started breaking the lug nuts loose before jacking it up, and the &#@*ing lug wrench broke!!! I called MY roadside assist, and kinda told them it was my truck and not my boat that had the flat. :wink: Well, it worked, and someone came out. I finally got the tire changed, but by this time it was 10PM and I couldn't drive anymore because it was well after dark. We spent a very comfortable night at a Hyatt, for what turned out to be really cheap.

Got a start Saturday morning, and all was well for the first 100 miles or so. I got just past Rocky Mount, and lo and behold, blow out number 3!!!!! I called BoatUS, again, and this time they found someone to come change the tire on the side of the road, but I would have to pay for the tire. Fair enough. They connected me with the dispatcher, who told me they were going to put a generic car/truck radial on the trailer. After my previous experience, I told him the hell you are. I called BoatUS back, and told them, if I am paying for the tire, I wasn't putting anything less than a trailer tire on. the girl was going to try and find someone to tow the boat to a shop that had trailer tires in stock. I found a shop, but they couldn't find a provider to tow me. I got them to have the roadside service company to pick up the tire at the tire store. I told them while they are at it, bring three. One for my blown tire, the one old tire I have left, and my spare that was still blown. I finally was back on the road.

So, $600 and 2 days later, I made it. Whew!

*Cliffnotes: Don't tow long distances with Passenger tires.....

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
askibum02 said:
Meh, it happened. If someone can learn from my experience, all the better.

Glad you're safe. I lost two tires three years ago on a Sunday morning in Florence SC - ain't nothing open on Sunday morning in Florence - called my sister and she started on the 'net and calling around until she found a Goodyear roadside assistance - $200 for two tires and $150 for the roadside call.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
guys
with tamdem trailers
if one tire blows, the one next to it might also!

i run 15" D tires on my 228 grady
8 years no blow outs yet!