Tampa Area Surveyor & Yami tech

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Im looking at a used grady in Seminole FL, 33772. I want to get it surveyed and have a tech look at the 250 4s motors. Any recommendations for local outfits?

thanks!!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I couldn't recommend a tech, although I'm sure a simple Google search will help you find what you're looking for, if for some reason the surveyor wasn't able to check out the motors. These are the two sites I always use to find an accredited marine surveyor. Good luck!

pnw208

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Beware that not all surveyors were created equal, even NAMS or SAMS certified. You might do well to call around to a couple local yards and ask who they would recommend to survey a boat they were personally buying. They'll know who the good guys are and who will just give you a glossy report.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Beware that not all surveyors were created equal, even NAMS or SAMS certified. You might do well to call around to a couple local yards and ask who they would recommend to survey a boat they were personally buying. They'll know who the good guys are and who will just give you a glossy report.
I honestly wouldn't recommend doing that, especially calling the yard or broker that you're buying the boat from as they're likely going to recommend someone that they have a long standing history with and likely isn't going to be looking out for the "buyer's best interest". I'd use the two sites I linked above, do a Google search on the handful or so of surveyors that you're thinking about potentially going with and see what kind of reviews they have both positive and negative. Other websites like The Hull Truth are fairly decent with regards to reviews about surveyors as there are thousands and thousands of users and posts on a daily basis. Take what you hear over there with a "grain of salt" at times though as there can be a lot of so called "experts" on THT. Good Luck!

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
So @Atlantic Blue did you end up buying the boat? If not, want to share the link and what negatives caused you not to move forward?

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
we are under contract. engine inspection is supposed to happen today and full survey next week

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I will laugh if we have a contract on the same boat. The one I'm looking at is north of Dunedin.

What surveyor did you use? I'm hunting for one now. Here's my notes in case it's helpful for people in the future:
  • Richard F. Davis - found on SAMS site. Recommended by another surveyor. $30/ft
  • Steve Heinreich - found on SAMS site. $30/ft
  • Billy Fox - found on NAMS site. $29/ft
  • Tom Martin Marine Service - found on SAMS site. $22/ft
  • Noel Miley, Miley Marine Surveyors - recommended by local mechanic. $24/ft
  • Rick Shelly and Kyle Strawn - recommended by local mechanic and two other surveyors. $20/ft
  • Lee Taylor, Taylor Marine Surveying - Recommended by local mechanic, another surveyor, and on TheHullTruth
  • Bill Schiffner - Recommended by local mechanic and another surveyor.
  • John “Doc” Campbell - recommended on THT.
  • Marc Redshaw - found on SAMS site.
  • Satish K. Janardhanan - found on NAMS site.
  • Paul Michael Morgan - found on SAMS site.
  • Techton Marine - found on SAMS site.
  • Rich Parrey - found on SAMS site.
  • Kevin Behen - found on SAMS site.
  • Dewey Ives, Precision Marine Surveyors - found on SAMS site. $25/ft. Passed - said he was not very familiar with Grady Whites.
  • Glenn Reagan, Aqua Marine Surveys - found on SAMS site.
  • Capt. Gary Flack - recommended on THT. $23/ft
  • Tom Schaffer - recommended on THT. Insurance surveys only - no pre-purchase surveys.
  • Chet Stephens, Sun Coast Marine Surveyors - mixed reviews on The Hull Truth, negative reviews on Yelp, negative feedback from a local mechanic.

Last edited:

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i am using Atlantic Seaboard Marine Surveyors. He came very highly recommended my my local (Delaware) Grady dealer (Taylor Marine). He is ironically local to Delaware and the Seminole/Tampa area. he is a bit pricey at $27 a foot, but i have learned to not always go with the lowest bidder and to use your trusted resources/contacts.

Last edited:

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
also, if your current boat is a 2011 275, i dont think we are looking at the same boat, haha. the one i am looking at is a bit older.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2006 Marlin.
I contracted with Steve Heinrich of Flagship Marine to do my survey and Sean of S&S Marine Services to inspect the engines.