Tanami's Christmas in North Queensland

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We went back to the Hinchinbrook Island area for our Chritmas this year, sharing a holiday unit with the outlaws called Ripples. Awesome part of the world and great accomodation. Tanami is still running in the F225's with about 60 hrs on them now. Still undecided about my 4 blade props, but until I can access some reasonable Merc 3 blades I'll do with these.
A funny thing happened , we went to a mark we call the gift in 175 ft of water. We haven't been there since last Christmas and as the pics show we caught exctly the same number, species and size of fish as last year.
The picture of my son Nelson is with our premier sport fish he caught at night in the river near home .......it is a 1.1 mtr Barramundi. Enjoy
DSCF7080.jpg

DSCF7082.jpg

DSCF7083.jpg

PB040004.jpg

DSCF3075.jpg

PC230019.jpg

PC270027.jpg

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Different World?

jekyl, Very Nice Fish! Looks just like our Red Snapper and Red Grouper! The Barramundi looks like a cross breed of our Snook and Tarpon. I'd bet that was a good fish fight there. Also the big red snapper look alike is surely a powerful fish. I spoke with my friend GW VOYAGER a few days ago and he was quite intriqued with all the Aussie acronyms! I got a chuckle as I did know what a Barbie was. We always enjoy you post! 8)

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Jack. I guess as much as we come from different parts of the globe, we still share more similarities than differences.

Yes the Barra' is one great sport and eating fish.Ones that size are difficult to find and catch. The are like tarpon and can spend quite a bit of fighting time out of the water. My son spends all his spare summer moments chasing them in fresh and saltwater.

The "snapper" Red Emperor is the premier eating and fighting reef fish. usually found in over 100 ft of water and mostly fished for at night. But sometimes you can get lucky, as we did. My son had to help my mother in law get that one in or else we would have lost them both over the side!

I believe you have an inboard Grady I nearly repowered with a deisel when my 2 strokes died. If i was more mechanically minded i would have gone that way. We used to have a big block merc in a 26 ftr. and just love the sound and fish attractiveness of the big motors.

dobson_c

Reaction score
Sensational Jekyl. Looks like another amazing holiday inspired by a great boat