Tank/pump question

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Hello everyone, and thanks for all the advice. I am new, and slowly getting familiar with my 28 Grady.
When I first purchased the gentleman told me the gauge that tell you the tank level meter did not work. I went down today to check on the bolsters that are being made, and just looked around for the first time at a few things. Just to the left of the macerator pump. I see something with 3 wires broken off of it. And just to the left of that, there was "old" dirty water, but not waste, I believe a couple thru hull connectors need replacing.Anyway here is a pic, hopefully someone can identify.
Thanks again Glen

fishbust

Reaction score
What tells you the level are 2 float switches. Common to freeze and break off in cold climates when not winterized properly. $200!
1 light will light when you get up to 1/4 tank and the other 3/4, only when you push the display button in.

Also, the macerator is notorious for rotting out and failing. This also happened to mine. The cost for the entire set up is too much to replace, so many folks add an external macerator and abandon the old inside the tank.

There are a couple good threads with pic's here on the site.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thank You, went down today and took it out...Good thing I did, previous owner told me tank was pumped out, and it was 3/4 full! I filled the rest of the way with -100 RV anti-freeze, so hopefully looking for a problem potentially averted another one.
I have a lot to learn, but enjoying it all so far.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Yes, those three wires are the tank monitor. I wouldn't fuss over them.

That plastic tank is $500+ so pump it empty. 100 RV will not keep it from freezing.

The top right port is the pump out port. Get out your shop vac.......

As much as people will fight this statement, the in tank macerator pump is top quality so fix/replace it. It's a solid brass pump with a large motor inside of a very thick rubber boot. It even has a bonding wire to protect the brass from stay current in the water. At the bottom of the pump are two spinning stainless knife blades that get the job done. Super quiet too.

Any questions on the pump call John Cly at Groco. He's on Kent Island Md.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thanks for advice, Macerator pump fine, the monitor is the one that is bad, Shop vac seems a bit messy, maybe I will just siphon from the monitor fitting, and do the best I can til I can get in water and over to the marina pump. Anyway, check is on the way, looking forward to the seat cushions.
I grew up on Kent Island, so I'll check with John if I have any pump problems.
Thanks